NK 4.0 1155 parts list CC request

Looking for constructive criticism on my build parts. This will be my first NAS but not my first PC build.

My intention is to build out the NK4.0 for home use and then expand for external access using a separate box to transcode the JDM way.

Once I have the basic NAS and a transcode box I’ll beef up this NAS with an additional eight HDs.

Use case: NAS running Unraid to host Plex and perhaps run other VMs or dockers.

• CPU - Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor (info)
  • CPU Cooler - TBD (likely an Arctic something)
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX (link)
    ** Z77 chipset (link)
  • Memory - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2133 CL11 Memory (link)
  • Storage
    ** AppData - Intel SSD DC P3600 Series (specs)(sales deal) -already purchased
    *** HH formfactor will require “High Brack​et for LSI​ IBM SAS 9​212-4i4e” via ebay
    ** Cache - 500 GB SSD (Likely taking a recommendation from JDM’s post)
    ** HDs (1 parity atm) - 2x 12TB WD Elements Desktop HD (link) shuckable. -already purchased
  • Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass ATX Full Tower Case (mfg.)(sales)
  • PSU - 500 Watt gold modular (TBD)

There are so many options while using the 1155 Socket so I aimed for the top. I tried to price out a 1151 build but was deterred by the price. Some of the options I have gone for may not suite everyone but I think this is a 100% feasible build. With regard to cost I intent to us Ebay, NewEgg, Amazon, and/or my very local MicroCenter.

Expansion: I hope to use an LSI HBA at a later date to add an additional 8 spinning HDs. The selected case will accommodate the drives with the addition of an enclosure in the 3x 5.25 drive bays.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions

Thanks.

No complaints - I might counter with an SM X9SCM + 1270v2 - you lose USB3, but gain IPMI (remote) access and ECC ram. Also the X9SCM does not have open-end slots so a x16 mechanical card won’t fit without some shenanigans.

New plan is to use:
MB: SuperMicro X9SCM-F
CPU: Intel Xeon Processor E3-1270 v2

Reasons for the change: ECC, IPMI, but mostly the larger number of aftermarket SM boards.

I don’t plan to do GPU transcoding on this NAS so not having a x16 slot isn’t a deal breaker.
Regarding shenanigans, is that just with regards to the Bios upgrade beyond 2.0?

I was saying all the slots are x8 mechanical and closed end - so a x16 card physically won’t fit, unless you do some surgery

The availability of parts is often the number 1 factor in a build, but that board is also just really a good board.

1 Like