[Guide] Remote Gaming on Unraid

Welp, looks like the solution was simply time… I left the VM running for a few hours, and I guess Windows just automatically downloaded the required drivers.

Thank you so much for this amazing guide and your ongoing support

2 Likes

Hey @JDM_WAAAT - Thank you very much for this guide.
Highly appreciate.

But can you give me a short feedback if the following points are still necessary / increase the performance/stability?

• 8.5 - Editing the vm in XML mode regarding and /
  • 13 - Re-enable hyper-V

I just ask in case something has change this your initial post from April 20.
Because - for example - there is now a better/easier way to passthrough the GPU instead of editing syslinux.cfg :wink:

Thanks in advance.

Sorry - but I cant edit my post above @JDM_WAAAT
Here’s another example. As you can see, there is (maybe since 6.9 or 6.10) a simple option for Hyper-V.
Is this enough or should I use your replacement-code above instead?

1 Like

Hey JDM,
you wrote a fabulous guide. I’ve followed every step, did every configuration, and now I’ve got me own cloud gaming server. Marvelous! Many thanks. But please do an update of the new method to pass through a GPU. That’s so convenient, but also I’ve had some struggle with it. I’ve forgotten to bind the GPU under the system device settings. Ups…curse you f** D3 error.
But now everything works like a charm.

Performencewise, would it be a great opportunity to revisit this section to look up for new options.

1 Like

Could you please explain why devices related to P2000 10de:1c30 & 10de:10f1 weren’t included in the syslinux.cfg vfio-pci.ids=?

Awesome guide, but I’ve hit a wall.
I’m on unRAID 6.11.5, and some things seem to have changed.
When I run through the guide, following it as best as I can, when I launch the VM, it just ignores the GPU completely. I don’t seem to be getting any passthrough at all. I can access it via RDP just fine, but device manager doesn’t show any nvidia devices. I have a GT710 installed, BTW.
Here’s my XML, do you see any issues?

Hello!
I have a similar problem like “TVBox_Account”.

I have a VM where I passed through the Intel iGPU, which worked good. Then I put in a Nvidia Quadro P2200, and it just worked out of the box when switching it in the VM (even without the Soundcard I think).
Now I added more RAM (and also removed it again), and after that I can start the VM and RDP into it, but the GPU doesn’t get recognized anymore (which worked before).

Then I tried all the different things mentioned here, but still no luck.

What went wrong!?

Thanks!

Like others have said, if the checkbox doesn’t show up to enable auto login you’ll need to edit the registry

1 Like

I know this guide is old at this point but I am using it right now to try to create a windows 11 vm on my unraid box and I cant get it to load a storage driver during the windows installation. when I browse in the virtio disk to viostor\w11\amd64 and hit ok the “select driver to install” box is empty. If I remove the check box that says to hide drivers that arent compatible with this computer’s hardware then two show up but choosing either doesnt allow the installation to see my disk (an unassigmed m.2 ssd connected directly to a slot in my mobo) the drive shows up in unraid in my unassigned devices seciton of the dashboard. I went into several folders on the virtIO disk and the only one that contains drivers which will show up without removing that check from the compatibility box is the /vioserial folder. loading that driver does not make the disk show up though. I have tried using both the Q35 type machine and the i440fx type. I used the latest available version of each but did not try any of the older ones.

any idea what I am doing wrong?

I haven’t had success with Windows 11. I’ve reverted all of my VMs back to Windows 10 and I haven’t had any issues.

I see SpaceInvaderOne has a guide to getting Win11 as a VM on Unraid. I assume it’s a good guide because he’s very good but I haven’t reviewed it personally. Win 10 decidedly simpler though.

Even with following his recommendations, I was experiencing random crashes on multiple W11 machines in different environments.

I was just able to get it working by making sure to bind the nvme controller from tools->system devices in unraid. once I did that the drive showed up during the install without me even loading the storage drivers from the virtIO iso

That’s a drive passthrough. Doing that means it has no need of virtio drivers to access the drive.

Maaaan, I’ve been running unraid for a few years and recently stumbled across this guide today. I’ve been running Windows gaming VMs vanilla apart from a few reboot tweaks via Chris Titus winutil. Time to spin up a new vm and get some benchmarks.

It’s frightening that the algorithm did suggest this guide (or this forum) in past searches.

Thanks so much for creating this

1 Like

Good luck!

This may sound like stupid question, but I have to ask because I want to make sure I set this up correctly.

As far as recommended GPU’s go, I have a RTX 4090 that I was planning on using, along with a AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU. Is this a good card to use or should I stick with one from your suggested list? Such as a RTX 2080?

Let me know if this setup is okay.

The parts will likely be fine. But what is your plan.
Sounds like a solid gaming PC as is, excessive even. But you’re sure you want to fit in a storage server too?

Right now I currently have an Unraid server built for Plex and it’s using GPU passthrough for the only GPU (Quadro RTX 5000) I have on the board. I wanted to start building an outrageous gaming computer and began purchasing the hardware, but then I came across this post and wondered if I could just add my 4090 to my server and play my games through it instead of building an entire new computer.

I also have a Ryzen 9 5950x in my server at the moment, but I read about how great the Ryzen 7 7800X3D performs for games and was planning on buying that. Should I just stick with my 5950x?

The guide is good. But you should just leave the gaming PC and the server separate, unless you have a compelling need or reason to merge them.