[Guide] Remote Gaming on Unraid

So I came up with the following build -
*DDR ECC RAM - 8x 32GB RAM. -Not sure on brand or type etc
*1TB SDD x8
*2x E5-2697 v3
*4x AMD R9 Nano
*Either Supermicor board (not sure which model - advise please or Asus Z10PE-D8 or D16 WS

Just need to look at power case and cooling

Hey, its me again… I did build a new unraid server and now I have the issues again…

I am stuck again with error 43 and did double and triple check everything. The only thing I seem not be able to is boot in non UEFI. My board is a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA-GU. I did tell the unraid stick not to boot in UEFI, but it got stuck at startup. I did find the CSM settings, but I think i may miss something.
Maybe someone here has a idea.

This should be fine now, right?

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/MSI.GTX970.4096.160125_1.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
IOMMU group 17:			 	[10de:13c2] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
IOMMU group 18:			 	[10de:0fbb] 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 19:			 	[10de:13c2] 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
IOMMU group 20:			 	[10de:0fbb] 02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
2021-07-30T15:26:09.832864Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:01:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x9,romfile=/mnt/disk1/isos/MSI.GTX970.4096.160125_1.rom: Failed to mmap 0000:01:00.0 BAR 3. Performance may be slow

-device vfio-pci,host=0000:02:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x8,romfile=/mnt/user/isos/MSI.GTX970.4096.160125_1.rom \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:02:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8.0x1 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2021-07-30 15:26:11.029+0000: Domain id=5 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-07-30 15:26:11.029+0000: Domain id=5 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/2 (label charserial0)

I seem to have found the problem: switching to Q35 seemed to have solved the error 43.

Thanks so much for the amazing guide. My only question is how I actually utilize my 2 unassigned drives.

I have a 1tb nvme I’d like to have windows installed on and a 2tb ssd I’d like to store the games / saves on.

I (think) I followed the guide to a T, but I only used 30gb to install windows and that’s being eaten up pretty quick for some reason.

For your 1TB NVMe, follow the install instructions above. For the 2TB storage drive, you can pass that through as well in the VM config.

If you only have 30GB as your windows install disk, that’s just the initial size. You can expand it in Unraid. Then you will have to go to disk management in the VM and expand it there as well.

So what I ended up doing was adding the 1 tb nvme and 2tb ssd as their own cache drives, and installing the windows vdisk to the nvme as windows and then passing through the 2tb as windowsgames and creating the disk that way within windows. seems to work so far, but thank you for answering my question too. I’ll keep this in mind if I have to redo something.

Only question I have left is if I’ve got my xbox controller set up as a bluetooth controller on my Mac, will that passthrough to the vm?

Also any tips on why Moonlight stutters over a home network? I keep lowering the bandwidth and I’m still getting stalled out and skipping. I’ve got a RTX 2080 super water-cooled in the Unraid box.

Maybe this is a silly question but I’m a noob. Would this setup be overbuilt/overkill for simply streaming 1-2 Steam games at a time within my LAN?

Basically my issue is most Steam games are Windows based and my kids’ laptops are all Linux. So they fight over the one Windows machine in the house!

Current needs:

1. a NAS to host media and Nextcloud
  2. a Plex server (already offloaded to an HP-S01)
  3. game streamer (Team Fortress, Minecraft, emulators, nothing too intensive?)

Just wondering if #1 and #3 should be separate machines or could just be one machine using unRAID.

Thanks!

Depends on what your hardware is… what sort of specs are you looking at? Keep in mind, you’ll need 1 GPU for each parsec/VM instance.

1 Like

Hardware is open ended. Right now I use a desktop as a nextcloud server and network share, and want to upgrade, I was looking at NASK 4 or 5. (The desktop was also my Plex server but I successfully used your guide to get that onto the HP-S01)

One GPU per instance is good to know. That kinda puts a limit on how many clients can use it at once, then, right?

Really just depends on how many GPUs you feel that you can cram into your server. I’ve personally used up to 3 GPUs without any issue. Single slots GPUs like the Nvidia P2000 help in this case, but the performance is pretty low compared to even “low” end GPUs like the 1660ti or 3060.

Okay. That gives me food for thought. I will probably focus on building the NAS but with an eye to leaving room for two GPUs.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet but if you are just looking to do retro games and want to run on the Intel igpu without a dedicated GPU, you may run into issues with Parsec.

You can use this to fix it.

2 Likes

What an amazing tutorial. Followed instructions to the letter, however, ran into an issue with GPU passthrough but that was my bad since my Unraid USB booted in UEFI. Legacy boot fixed that. I had some questions however, I know theoretically a wired connection is optimal but I am sitting next to the router (Ubiquiti AC PRO) on a 5Ghz connection and it drops sometimes and causes a stutter? Is that expected?

My Vm runs on 6Cores12Threads and a 3060. Host is wired via ethernet. I saw @JDM_WAAAT youtube video and saw his decode encode times were below one milisecon. How is that achievable when my times for a 2k ultrawide client are around 5ms decode and 2ms encode. What could of went wrong for me? I tried hosting a session on my main rig with a 3080ti and the encode were not much better? I know I can fix my latency for network with a ethernet cable but what is happening to my encode decode?

1 Like

The stutter is almost surely caused by Wi-Fi. I bet if you hard wired, the problem would disappear.

Thank you for your input while I have you here might as well say a big thank you for all this effort.

What do you think might be the issue with the encode and decode latency? Yours was super low compared to what I am getting even on my wired rig. Wired rig to server i still get high numbers.

Encode ~ 4ms
Decode ~ 5ms

I am still a noob to all these latency numbers but my goal was to get as close to the numbers you were getting. What could I look for to fix this?

Thank you

Im on Passthrough ~8.5. When editing the VM, it appears to not update and save the settings of removing the OS install and adding in the GPU in and Sound Card.

I get a Common Problems pop-up after letting it sit that says Legacy PCI Stubbing Found. Possible relation in issues?

As linked here…?

Moving the stubbing and switching to Q35 resolved errors.

I realise that this is an older thread, but I’m hoping someone on here will be able to help me out.

I followed the tutorial very closely (though not the whole parsec part, as I have no need to use the VM remotely, I just want to have it connected to a regular monitor)

But for some reason when I start my VM the screen remains black.

Here is my XML config

Here is the log of my Windows VM

What am I missing? It launched fine in VNC, but now my monitor doesn’t get a signal and just turns off. I already tried a different screen and different port on the gpu, no use.

All help is greatly appreciated!

I will take a look at this tomorrow if I can.

Hey, thanks, really appreciate it! And just as an update, I made a second setup with a Ubuntu VM and just copied over my GPU and CPU xml config, and with that one it’s working just fine, I’m getting an Image. So is there something I need to do in windows first?