[Guide] NAS Killer 6.0 - DDR4 is finally cheap

Also check for bent CPU pins…

Is the storage offers from RTG ended?

Rhino always has more drives at good prices and accepts offers on many.

1 Like

You should be able to use Non-ECC memory on that board without issue.

What is the beep code that you are hearing from the motherboard?

Are you able to log into the IPMI to check logs? I’m not sure if IPMI will work without system memory.

Ideally to troubleshoot a hardware issue you want to try swapping known working parts to see if you still get the same issue.

Do you have another known working system that takes DD4 RAM? If so try swapping the RAM into that system and see if you get an error there, also try swapping the known working DDR4 Ram onto the super micro motherboard and see if you run into the same issue. This process will help identify what part is causing the issue.

If you don’t have another system to work with troubleshooting is a little more complicated. Are there 2 Dimms in the RAM kit? If so try each Dimm by itself to see if 1 of the Dimms is defective.

If your use case was a general purpose media server with Plex or Jellyfin serving and transcoding a variety of media in different formats I would suggest upgrading to at least a Kaby Lake CPU with an iGPU and possibly upgrading to a more modern 1151-V2 (8th / 9th Gen) platform.

It sounds like this build is very specific to your camera set up and you control the format that the video is saved in. Do you need to transcode for video playback? and if so does Skylake / Kaby Lake support the format you are using?

What OS are you running on the N305 system? If you need to do any transcoding of the saved video can you use a docker container or VM on the N305 system to handle serving and transcoding the videos? If so you could use the N305 system as a Quick Sync transcoding box and configure the server as a pure NAS / storage server and you wouldn’t need a GPU at all.

1 Like

That’s most probably what I’ll do, and leave it as is… thanks!

Just orded two Supermicro X11SCA-F ATX motherboards and two i3-8300 processors. Looking forward to build two NAS builds (Primary and Backup servers)

2 Likes

Nice - make sure to post pics!

1 Like

Beep Code: 5 Short, 1 long (manual indicates this is a memory issue).

I do not currently have a way to test the ram, or other ram I could swap in.

There are 4 DIMMS so i could switch them around. There are a couple of suggestions I’m going to try before I switch around the RAM as this is the item I have least in my control atm (besides trading places).

All the same, thank you. This group of folks is the best. 3 people popped up to help me out. Super grateful.

Pulled the CMOS out, put it back in. Still getting beeps. Ian suggested “playing around” (my paraphrase) with the RAM. Ill try that and see if I can get better results. Thank you for the suggestion all the same.

Checked for bent pins on the CPU. I don’t think so, but I’m not a good judge here. didn’t check the MB cuz of my smooth smooth brain. Ill check again later if the DIMM swapping doesn’t work out.

1 Like

A handful of people have claimed that that specific ram in fact does not work with that specific motherboard. I do not know if this is actually accurate as at least one person found their issue wasn’t the ram at all.
Look at the socket from an angle, it makes it much easier to see if any pin isn’t lined up with the rest.
You may need to acquire at least one other stick of ram to troubleshoot.

Very embarrassingly, I messed up. Entry level error, which is to be expected but still embarrassing. I didn’t push hard enough on the RAM. The cantilever arm or whatever that clicks the ram into place…it clicks well before the RAM is actually fully inserted. I am no longer receiving the 5 short 1 long beep code…so progress!!

Again apologies, I do not want you or Ian, or JDM, or anyone, to feel like I’m wasting your time. This is my first build and the first time I’ve even touched RAM in 15 years. I can think of at least two childish jokes that would be fitting. In any case, super grateful for patience and understanding. I wonder if the people you know were also new to building and didn’t realize they hadn’t pushed the RAM in enough?

I am getting this beep code on start up now, which I think is good (at least those redditors thought so). Its very quite, but it is a video link.

I have moved onto to the next issue which is no video. I’ve swapped the HDMI cord, and tested both independently elsewhere.

I’m going to dig around for a VGA cord. Ian and GreatGrod’s discussion may come in handy depending on whether or not I have the cord.

Thank you again. Hopefully I’ll make better mistakes in the future :grimacing:

It’s not exactly a beep code, or I’m not sure if it’s telling anyone anything specific other than: it’s initializing the onboard controller which manages the IPMI. It hasn’t fully booted yet. You should have display output by around this time though so you may need the VGA if the HDMI isn’t yielding anything.

Thank you so much for the guide! I stumbled upon a HP Envy deal which led me to this thread. I’m just about done and waiting on a few finishing touches but very happy with what was conjured together.

HP Envy i7-8700/16gb/m2 boot
LSI HBA
Sata Power Splitter
HDD Stack Bracket
4TB Sata HDD x4

I have some spare SSDs laying around for a SSD Cache as well.

In total I kept it under 400 and have a little bit of room to upgrade with another ram stick.

No Worries, Glad to hear you got it working and you don’t have bad RAM!

Supermicro boards are very beepy in general; whether they are happy or sad. Mine beeps like that when it starts up or shuts down.

Motherboards with a BMC will often default to the VGA port as the primary display. If you have a VGA monitor you can go into the BIOS and change it to the Integrated Graphics (IGFX) in order to use your iGPU via HDMI. Either way you might want to work on logging into the IPMI. If you are lucky it will be set to the default username and password ADMIN / ADMIN. Once you are in the IPMI you can change BIOS settings or do just about anything else you might need a monitor for.

Hi guys!
I ended up buying the supermicro motherboard, and i went with i3 8100t with 32 gb ecc memory. Everything should arrive sometime next week! Pretty excited to put this together and migrate from my current setup!
I will be posting the complete build with prices and pictures when completed.
Thank you again for the guide!

2 Likes

How many fans do you really need for this setup? Looks like the case itself can support eight plus one on the CPU.

I would recommend 2 intake at the front and 1 exhaust in the back of the case.

Although the Arctic 120 mm fans are often cheapest in 5 packs so if you are getting 5 fans anyway why not 3 in / 2 out. More airflow never hurts and with more fans you could set the fan curve lower and get the same airflow with less noise.

You could potentially even get away with just a CPU fan and no case fans depending on ambient temperature and workload.

Any chance of a Europe version of the guide? It’s super difficult to find the parts listed unfortunately, even from ebay - the prices are just insane and probably better to build something with decent ready available parts.

Goal of the NAS is for it to be multi-purpose - listing some below:
Plex Server → capable of 4k with maybe at most 2 transcode requirements
Storage for files, photos etc
Radarr, Sonarr, Sabnzb
Homeassistant server

Thoughts on the following? Seems kinda pricing and potentially way too much i.e. overkill?

Any advice and recommendations would be much appreciated.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor €166.89 @ LIFE Informatica
Motherboard ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard €222.78 @ Amazon Espana
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory €84.03 @ Coolmod
Storage Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive €87.90 @ Amazon Espana
Storage Crucial P3 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive €69.72 @ PCBox
Storage Seagate IronWolf Pro 14 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive €274.00 @ Amazon Espana
Storage Seagate IronWolf Pro 14 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive €274.00 @ Amazon Espana
Case Jonsbo N2 Mini ITX Desktop Case €165.02 @ Amazon Espana
Power Supply be quiet! SFX L Power 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply €113.87 @ Coolmod
Custom JEYI NVMe M.2 to 5 Sata Adapter, Internal 5 Port Non-RAID SATA III 6GB/s M.2 NVMe Adapter Card for Desktop PC Support SSD and HDD -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €1458.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-10 15:45 CET+0100

The build is pretty overkill. It’ll work but it’s a tremendous expense and a lot of compute left unused. The mentioned workload can easily be handled by an NK6.
The guide is a guide. It’s a listing of parts that will get the job done. We aren’t familiar with markets much outside the US, and the availability and pricing shift a lot too. See what’s available by you closer to the guide, weigh the pricing versus the new build, see what you think, ask questions if specific things still aren’t certain to you, and take it from there.