[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

Check out this somewhat interesting motherboard…

This was made for a specific vendor by Supermicro in a custom configuration. You won’t find this exact model on Supermicro’s website, but it’s based on the X10SLH and has 3x dual port 10GbE adapters built in.

Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF

• Note that the form factor is Micro-ATX in length but E-ATX in width, so your case must support E-ATX motherboards. This will fit in the Rosewill RSV-L4500.
  • LGA1150
  • 3 x Intel X540 T2 (6x10GbE ports)
  • 1 x GbE
  • 1 x IPMI
  • only 2 PCIe expansion slots
  • 2xSATA3, 4xSATA2

Here’s how it looks in a standard Supermicro server:

Thanks for pointing this out. I’d never noticed that.

Seems like this might be a good pfsense mobo for those that need many NICs?

Are there any build examples for the NAS Killer 5.0? Otherwise would PCPartPicker be able to let me know the parts I picked (not doing rack mount) would be compatible? I haven’t figured out my parts list quite but would like to get started.

Jonathan,

I am in the process of my own NK 5.0 build, here it is for you to think about. I wanted low power to use primarily as a backup server, and to begin to play with windows VM’s. Also, low cost was a goal. I have an existing 10 yr old server (build at the end of this post) as my primary array. In retrospect, I wish I had gone for more performance from my new build, as I am already more interested in VM’s now than when i started - having 4 cores/8 threads is a good starting place for a single VM, but I will probably want to run more than one at a time. oh, well. this should do a good job for a while anyway. Here’s the build:

MB: supermicro X10slm-f ebay $70
cpu: E3-1230L v3 ebay $60 25W with ~ 5000 passmark, 4/8
ram: 2x8 gb supermicro newegg seller $75
Case: the N400… case kind of irrelevant but i wanted the 8 HDD bays.
cpu cooler: i forget which one, just a well rated $20 job.
PS: seasonic 650W newegg $65

I have drives, on-board video and nic will be fine for now, so this is all i need.

the ram is being delivered today so it should boot up tonight.

Here is my existing build - the new one will be more powerful but not too much:

supermicro c7p67 plus an ancient vga card - this is used strictly as a NAS
I3-2120
stock cpu chiller
2x4 GB ram
2x 10 tb parity
a collection of 11 6tb and 8 tb drives
700W corsair something PS
rosewill 4500 case
6 x 120 mm fans plus 2x80 mm above the m/b output on back.
unraid pro since 5.something lol and i have yet to make a VM

Let me know if you have any questions

Not yet, but if you start making a thread in #builds:lga1150-nas-killer-5-0 we can help you out.
PCPartPicker is completely useless with server/ebay parts so don’t use that.

1 Like

Started adding some VMs to my Unraid and I can see a bit of a load getting into my CPY since I have to allocate cores to VMS and looking to update my CPU (possibly) and looking for ideas?
Currently this is what I have:
CPU: Intel Xenon E3-1220 3.1GHz
MB: TYAN S5512
Memory: 32GB (Max)
I was looking at 1230 V3 or or 1280 but not sure if I’m getting much of an upgrade.
Also not trying to break the bank either, just making sure updating will be worth doing.
Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Im looking to build a NAS in the NK5.0 line to replace an aging synology NAS. main uses will be the following:
file backup
Plex local (mostly direct play)
1-2 small VMs
several containers (Shinbobi with 3-4 cameras, homeassistant, etc)

Case - short depth rack mount - probably rosewill rsv-r4000
CPU - looking at either a e3-1271v3 or e3-1241v3 cpu
RAM - 16 or 32GB
motherboards - not sure - any thoughts on the x10slm±LN4F currently see a combo on ebay with this mobo,32gb ram, and a e3-1271v3 for around 270.

am i heading the right direction?

If you go to a V3 processor you will need a new motherboard as well. V2 processors are as high as you can go. Fortunately there are a number of higher thread-count options available. The 1230v2 has 4 cores still, but comes with hyperthreading so you have twice the number of threads vs. your current processor.

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

HI Jonathan,

Thanks for your posts and I’ve learnt a lot from it. I’m building my NAS to replace the current setup of a pi4 with 2 WD Easystore.

Here is the part I’ve searched so far:

I already have 2 WD Easystore 12T that I will shuck and put it, and then I’ll migrate the data in the 2 WD Element 8T attached to the pi 4 to the 2x12T and then I will have 2x8T and 2x12T in the case.

Does this sound like a good build to you? I will only use this as storage (includes TimeMachine, Photos, Movies, Music) and will run a plex server on Nvidia Shield Pro.

Ok everyone here we go. Just ordered all of this

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3
Cooler: Artic Alpine 12
MB: ASRock C226M WS
RAM: A-Tech 16GB 2 x 8GB PC3-12800E ECC Unbuffered UDIMM DDR3-1600 Server Memory RAM
Case: Cooler Master N400
PSU: Corsair 750 power supply (already had from old build)

Total Cost so far: $346.89.

Ok what does everyone think? Give me some pointers on what I am missing or messed up. :slight_smile:

Looks ok to me. We can help you more if you ask us before ordering next time… after there’s nothing we can do.

1 Like

Would this card be good to add additional SATA ports in a server build using UNRAID?

I prefer this version of the card, it has 5 SATA ports and no MSATA. It’s also cheaper.

Why are you looking for a SATA card specifically? There are many SAS HBAs that are extremely affordable and offer more ports + are SAS and SATA compatible.

2U is possible if you’re tight on space or depth. Here’s my 2U 4.0 build

1 Like

Would E3-1225 V3 with 2x8G ecc memory running fine with Debian installed with OMV and Plex?

I’m just starting to build a NAS to replace my current pi 4 and am just wondering if this CPU is good enough. I currently run OMV for SMB and Time Machine. I plan to do the same with the new machine with plex server as well. I will do direct play for most of the time. I’m also wondering if this CPU can transcode 4K true hd movies to 1080p

Thanks!

What would be considered a NAS killer 5.0 but off the shelf like a Lenovo Thinkserver or dell optiplex? Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m working towards building an UnRAID NAS. I like the lower cost of these NAS Killer builds, but I’m a little concerned that it won’t have enough muscle to handle what I need.

Here’s what I anticipate for use case:

• UnRAID (obviously)
  • Plex (relatively light use, two 1080 transcodes would be plenty)
  • Docker (maybe 3 containers)
  • VM’s (maybe 2 or 3, non-continuous, no gaming or specialty software)

Would the level of hardware in the 5.0 build handle these needs?

If not, is there a minimum Passmark score that I should start at? There’s a pretty wide range of Passmark scores on this build (3,250-10,830)

I’d stick with the NAS Killer 4.1 if you can swing it, you get a lot more for your money. The E3-1230 v2 is an excellent CPU for what you’re looking for.