[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

Ok, thanks for the response! I will look at the thread for 4.1 and consider it. Initially, my only thought is that the E3-1230v2 doesn’t have QuickSync, so I’d be stuck with software transcoding, no? I was looking at the E3-12x5 v6 series but the prices on those are pretty steep.

After spending some more time doing research yesterday, I was looking at an i5-7500. It’s a little older, but has decent QuickSync support which should easily handle my transcoding needs and 6,060 Passmark for everything else. I’m still working through motherboards though.

Well, those are outside the scope of NAS Killer 5.0, as this really just covers socket LGA1150.

Generally I recommend people build out a simple NAS Killer for file serving and VMs, and separate Plex out to a dedicated QS box like the HP 290 or HP S01.

2 Likes

Any recommendations on X10D motherboards? I’m looking at a dual processor build and from what I’ve been seeing they’re about the same price as X9 boards and easier to find.

Any advice on a pre-built NAS 5.0 purchase?

2 Likes

Hey all, I’ve found myself needing to build a new system and was gonna start with a supermicro board, c7z87 probably, and was wondering if anyone knew how well they play with lsi hba cards.

I’m sure they work obviously but was wondering if I’ll have any trouble getting into the hba cards config if the motherboard is uefi only which seems to throw the cards off but I’ve seen mention that the PCI slots are backwards compatible for these purposes? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for providing this guide! I’ve never done a build before, but I feel like I understand the categories of what I need to buy now at least.

Posting here in the hopes that someone might be willing to steer me in the right direction / just tell me what to buy for my goal: I’d like a small form factor, low idle power NAS to also serve as a plex server. It would only ever need to transcode 3 streams max. I know JDM has recommended a separate quick sync box but really want to minimize footprint.

I can do some more of my own research and come up with a proposed build if I’m being too lazy, but does the above sound reasonable? What would you buy to build it?

I purchased Supermicro X10SLQ-OI006 REV:1.00 MOTHER BOARD, this thing has a BIOS password, I tried to clear CMOS, but I think it is a custom bios for Omnicell?

Does anyone have an idea how I can reset the password for the bios.

And BTW I am a complete noob

Did you try

ADMIN
ADMIN

in all caps?

If it has a BIOS password, request a refund. That’s unacceptable unless the seller is providing you the credentials to access it.

That didn’t work, I have asked the seller for my money back and now I am looking to find another Motherboard.

what I have is this:
RAM SK Hynix Server Ram 16GB 4x 4GB PC3-12800U DDR3 HMT451U6BFR8C-PB N0 AA
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 SR14D 3.40Ghz LGA 1150 Quad Core Desktop CPU Processor
Fan ARCTIC Alpine 12 CO - CPU Cooler for Intel 115x and 1200, for Continuous Operation, 92 mm PWM Fan, up to 100 W Cooling Power.
SAS IBM M5110 = LSI 9207-8i it w/ LSI P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS

I am thinking of getting this

Or would you suggest another motherboard?

I am also looking at this the C7z87, I found a good price from this website
https://www.grabdpart.com/c7z87-oce-supermicro-c7z87-oce-atx-server-motherboard-only.html

First, thanks so much for this build list. It was a very timely find for me. I dove in and this is what I purchased:

• ASRock B85 Pro4
  • Intel -7-5775C
  • 4X8GB NON-ECC UDIM
  • ADATA SU720 1TB cache drive
  • 2X8TB Seagate Expansion Drives (to shuck)
  • Cooler Master N400 case
  • EVGA 550 B5 PSU
  • Artic Freezer 34

Finally got all my parts in and started my build. Got everything assembled and powered it on and got 3 short beep cycle. According to ASRock, this meant a memory issue. I originally just purchased 2X8GB RAM. I ordered another 2X8TB and got the same error. Other forums stated that this particular board (ASRock B85 Pro4) was really difficult when it came to seating the memory and that you had to push really hard. I pushed so hard I though I might break the board. Still no luck. I took the system to a local computer shop for diagnostics. In the meantime, I contacted the seller to tell them about the issue. They ended up just refunding my purchase.

Fast forward to today. Finally got the diagnostic results back from the local shop. According to them, the i7-5775C is a rare 5th Gen and wasn’t supported by the ASRock B85 Pro4. To which I said, “Well, everything I’ve seen says it is.” And they also said that there was a bent CPU pin on the board and that could be causing the memory issue. So, I think I’m just going to go back to the drawing board and purchase the ASUS Z97-A unless anyone on here has a better recommendation.

Thanks for any help in advance and thanks for the list.

I don’t think B85 supports anything beyond 4th generation. I use B85 with a 4th gen i7 and it still works great.

I think Z97 supports some 5th generation stuff.

And on that note, I don’t think 5th generation is necessary at all…

@JDM_WAAAT your CPU spreadsheet lists amd 3100 and amd 3300x as 35w tdp.
However AMD official docs say it 65w.

Thank you, never thought of ryzen 3 3300x for an RV server. 35 watt tdw with that perforance with ECC nice.

It’s not 35W, it’s 65W as he said. Also, consider that TDP has nothing to do with power draw… so don’t use it for that.

Oh, there can I find that information?
Need a low powered server to run on RV batteries.

There’s no specification that states power draw.
Power draw can be inferred through what level of hardware is in the system, what the load is expected to be, etc.

For RVs, I highly recommend using a laptop. It’s thin, low power (usually), has a built in backup battery, and has a built in terminal (mouse/kb/monitor).

Now that is some great info.
Thank you.

You’re welcome! You should make a build thread over in #technology:hardware and we can help you design your dream system!

1 Like