[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

Thank You! Ordering the JacobsParts adapter. I will post progress again here soon!

1 Like

Hi! I ordered the Riitek instead, as it had 1 day delivery. I installed everything using various youtube videos. But i do not see any display on powering it on. I might have missed a step.
Do you have any idea on what i should do?

What CPU and RAM?

I have the Intel i5 4670K SR14A 3.4 GHz CPu

and US 2x8GB PC3-12800U DDR3-1600Mhz Ram

Are the RAM sticks populated in the correct slots?

Here’s how i put them.

@Baaz According to manual you should pair A1 mem slot with B1. You have it in A1 A2.

2 Likes

Thank You! I’m sorry for not posting any updates, I had to travel coz of work, but now am back and would post replies fast. And thanks for all the help! I hope It’s okay that the thread is getting so long, I hope it helps some other newbie like me.

I changed the ram but i still did not get any display when i turned it on. I removed my thermal fan to take more pics of Core placement and Ram. Is there any more pics i should take and share?

What is your thoughts why don’t need ECC? Reddit/Unraid forums seem to be split on it.

The only thing ECC really has the potential to hurt is your wallet.

For home media and general use, ECC with Unraid just isn’t necessary. If it would make you feel better, then feel free to use it. It might add to the motherboard, CPU, and RAM cost, though.

I purchased a couple of Seagate Expansion drives in the 8TB size to shuck for my NAS killer build (unraid). I’m now reading that these are probably SMR drives. Also have a 1 shucked 8TB easystore drive which my understanding is a CMR drive. My data is mostly media for my plex server. Are the SMR drives going to be an issue? Should I make it a point to use the CMR drive for my parity drive?

I believe almost all Unraid users avoid SMR drives; I use CMR from WD and Seagate.

There’s nothing wrong with SMR drives for unraid. Try to use CMR drives for parity if you can, but even that’s not absolutely necessary with proper utilization of cache drives for incoming files.

2 Likes

What would be the different between choosing a consumer motherboard vs. server/workstation motherboard ? I am planning to build a server that will only for personal use like NAS and media server, file storage only, similar to the current QNAP i have

Server/Workstation motherboard usually support Xeon CPUs and ECC memory.

Would it be efficient for me to get a consumer motherboard and a Xeon CPU or it need to be the combo of consumer motherboard + i3/i5 or server/work station motherboard + Xeon. I just want something that will be low cost on the power consumption so i do not pay a lot in electric bill. Here is my part list and please let me know if I should be ok:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V3 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Alpine 12 LP
Motherboard: Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA 1150
RAM: Kingston 8GB
Case: Cooler Master N400 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Cooler Master Elite V3 600W

I am planning on running 6 x 8TB drive

If that’s the level of hardware you want, it’s much more efficient to get a NAS Killer 4.1.

The value is much higher, overall costs are lower, and performance is nearly the same.

Believe you have a mistake with the E3-1225 v3. Looks like it should reflect a passmark of 5275 based upon the following:

Thanks for the awesome guide!

That is with the new, less relevant passmark test. Below that is the old test result.