[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

If you make note of your Array Devices and restore each device to its original location, you can preserve the array intact.

You will have to remake all your shares. You will also have to transfer the license, if you have one.

It really would be easier to move the USB and delete your plugins, dockers, and anything else you want to re-create.

Hello @JDM_WAAAT - this is a great list. By any chance, do we have a centralized list where I can also see the Ethernet speed corresponding to the motherboard? I am looking for a 2.5Gbe motherboard which made me search for motherboards and I realized that my search skills are not that good!

Also, i see that there are spreadsheet (google docs) that I can open for say CPU but the motherboard list is just directly in the forum, which makes it hard to apply filters.

Is there a link I am not seeing that allows me to open the entire list by any chance? I am new here so I may not have seen the whole thing.

Thanks!
uhsa

It seems a lot of the cases are no longer available anymore. Suggestions?

In this guide, everything is 1Gbps ethernet. You can always add a 2.5Gb card if you want.

The Cooler Master N400 should still be available.

other than getting new gen hardware - which will be very spendy. I would also highly suggest you get a add on 2.5gb card.

I see alot of people skipping that and going to scrapped server 10GB cards. they take a few more pieces and you’ll need a switch that will take it but those are also out there.

But I just bought an ikoolcore r1 to use as a router - and it’s a 4 port 2.5 - so I’m getting a 2.5 NIC for my server and for my transcode box. supposedly I can use the realtek chip which is cheaper to get right now but if not the intel 226 is the other go to. The 2.5 Nic is relatively cheap but check your PCI lanes. which my older gen hardware on the NAS box I have to be careful with slot I use.

I’m looking to upgrade my current X9SCM build and am looking at the X10D boards on eBay. It’s in a Rosewill L4500 case and is running a P2000 GPU so need at least one x16 slot. I’m wondering which ones would be recommended and which to avoid. Or perhaps I’m missing another option. The overall most critical requirement is that it has WAF(Wife Approval Factor).

X10D As in you looking at Dual Xeon E5s? I would recommend the X10DRi. 3x PCIe 16 slots.

Since you currently have a single socket board and you are posting on the NK 5.0 thread I’m guessing you are looking for something similar which are the X10S boards. In that case I would recommend the X10SLH-F It has the most current LGA1150 chipset (C226), a reasonable amount of PCIe connectivity for expansion, and IPMI.

However The NK 5.0 / LGA 1150 socket is a bit old at this point. For your upgrade I would actually point you to the NK 6.0 guide on LGA 1151 and 8th / 9th Gen CPUs. You should see a significant performance boost over the NK 5.0 for only a moderate price bump. For an NK6.0 I would recommend the X11SCA-F.

Just for fun, there is a seller on Ebay currently offering used X12SAE at a reasonable price. If you can also find a good deal on a 10th gen Intel CPU you could get ahead of the curve. The caveats though are that 10th gen CPUs will be a significant price increase over 8th / 9th gen CPUs for only a marginal performance bump and you would basically be a guinea pig for what will someday be an NK7.0 once prices come down. If that doesn’t sound like fun to you then probably sick with an NK 6.0.

No matter which choice you make it will be a significant upgrade over your current NK 4.0 setup.

Just for fun, there is a seller on Ebay currently offering used X12SAE at a reasonable price. If you can also find a good deal on a 10th gen Intel CPU you could get ahead of the curve.

I just grabbed a Xeon W-1250 for this board for $90 on eBay.

A W-1250 sounds like an fine pairing for the X12SAE. Good price too; That CPU is the equivalent of an E-2246G which typically costs 2 to 3 times as much as you paid for the W-1250.

Now just get 32 GB of DDR4, preferably ECC, RAM and you should be good to go. You will probably be limited to 2666 or 2933 Mhz RAM speeds with that board and CPU, but in my experience, at least with ECC, DDR4 3200 is often actually cheaper, (I think they just made a lot more of it) and will work just fine at lower speeds. If you are going to get ECC memory just make sure to get Unbuffered Dimms (UDIMM) and not Registered DIMMS (RDIMM).

Enjoy your new build. Post some pics when its done.

I have 32GBs of ECC RDIMM sitting around from a previous purchase, why isn’t that a good choice?

Because it’s not compatible with the motherboard

Noooooooooooooooooooo :dizzy_face:

Can I use non ECC memory with a Xeon processor?

That motherboard and CPU do not support registered memory. Intel reserves that for their Server platforms. This is a “Workstation” platform so it requires Unbuffered memory.

Yes you can use Non-ECC memory with the Xeon.

Hello, everyone. I’ve been scouring this forum for ideas and learning so much. I think I’ve nailed down my build. I am hoping to receive feedback on advice on what parts I am planning on using.

For starters, I am using an old computer I built as the base. Those parts will be as follows:

CPU: i5-4690k

Motherboard: MSI Z97A Gaming ATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8gb)

Here are the parts that I am planning on purchasing. Most of the parts have in some way or another been recommended, at least in the past.

HBA: 9207-8i -h310

SSD - Unraid files and cache: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB

Cache HDD: Toshiba MBF2600RC 600GB 10k rpm SAS drive

Storage: HGST HUH728080AL4200 8TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SAS 12Gb/s 3.5in Drive
Four total, one parity

Case: Cooler Master N400

PSU: EVGA 500 W1

Cables: CABLEDECONN Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors with SATA Power 1m

Case fans: ARCTIC P12, pack of 5

As mentioned under the SSD, I am planning on using Unraid as an OS. Use case is a media server (jellyfin) and personal storage. Is there anything I am missing or any tweaks that might improve the system? Thanks!

What is your locale? Have you considered the NAS Killer 6.0 build?

Hi! I am in California, US. I have thought about it. I was debating between 6.0 ad 5.0 but I figured I might save some money by reusing my parts in a 5.0 build. If the 6.0 is pretty big improvement, I’m not opposed to it.

What is your pricing looking like for the listed parts? It seems like it should be fairly low cost.

Estimated cost is around $525 and that includes the storage. Using my old parts would mean that I would have to buy new parts for my main PC so there is most likely another $300 of parts that could be considered.