SUPERMICRO X12SAE ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1200 Intel W480 WITH I/O SHIELD

X12SAE | Motherboards | Products | Supermicro

Accepted best offer of $84.58

SUPERMICRO X12SAE ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1200 Intel W480 WITH I/O SHIELD | eBay

• Good Deal
  • Mediocre Deal
  • Bad Deal
0 voters
1 Like

Crazy that even in the X12 platform from only a few years ago Supermicro still includes a PCI slot.

There must be some legacy PCI card that every enterprise uses and requires SM to keep the slot available. Is this for an add-in BMC or something like that?

I’ve always wondered the same with this slot lol

Does anyone know if you can use an 11th gen cpu with this or will it only work with 10th gen?

The chipset is listed as compatible but the specifications page for the board only say 10th gen.

Whats the worst that happens if i try an 11th gen? No post or ?

Probably no post

No it won’t support 11th gen.

The LGA 1200 socket is shared between 10th and 11th gen CPUs, but this motherboard uses the W480 chipset which is 10th gen only. For 11th gen you need the W580 chipset. There is an updated version of this board with the W580 chipset the X12SAE-5 that will support 10th or 11th gen CPUs.

1 Like

There is always a PCI card is corporate use that you carry from server to server. My favorite is interfaces for laboratory equipment seem to be stuck on PCI.

I bought a successor to this board, the Supermicro X13-SAE-F for my Unraid build partly because I wanted to install a TekRAM DC390-F PCI SCSI card and run a Fujitsu DynaMO 1300SE 1.3GB magneto-optical drive that I bought back in 2000.

Do I really need it? Not really. I still have the Pentium 3 system It was originally installed in if I really needed to access the data on my MO disks.