[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Reference this guide, you may find better deals.

How would I go about setting this up instead of going through my switch? I checked the guide and there was no other reference to it besides in the Hardware recommendation section.

Itā€™s pretty easy to do direct connect 10Gb to your NAS, generally you need two compatible (identical are the easieist) 10Gb cards and a cable, you assign them to their own subnets and point them at each other.

1 Like

Hello. Iā€™m having trouble getting the fstab automount to work.
Stuff mounts if I manually run ā€œmount -aā€ but they donā€™t mount automatically on boot up.

Iā€™ve got two users in Unraid, one Root and one named ā€œtranscodeā€ which is the same name as my user in Ubuntu. Both ā€œtranscodeā€ users have the same password. Iā€™ve got NFS shares set to private in Unraid.
Iā€™m wondering if I messed up something in my fstab but any troubleshooting advice would be much appreciated

Hello builders!

Iā€™ve acquired a Lenovo Ideacentre 510S (i5 7400, 8GB RAM) to hw transcode /w igpu. Has anyone done this with OpenMediaVault instead of Unraid? I canā€™t seem to reach my shares from the QuickSync box. Thanks.

I have the same problem- one of my two network shares will automount but the other doesnā€™t. I just mount -a and then leave the plex server on permanently

I playing with the thought off bulding a transcoding server so does it make a huge difference between the nuber of streams i would be able to transcode between the Intel Celeron G4900 or Intel Celeron G4900t. becuse i would like to go with a low enrgy build and there for a Intel Celeron G4900t would be better i guess what are you thoughts? btw how many streams could i get with those processors?

Thanks for all the info in HW transcoding.

Does anyone know what the limiting factor is on how many transcodes you can run on QuickSync?

NVENC seems to be limited by GPU RAM. What about QS?

And would a i9 9900k get more simultaneous HW transcodes than say a G4900?

Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong but the regular G4900 will throttle down on power when not in useā€¦so the benefits offset any energy performance gains by getting the T model. I would guess they both idle around the same wattage.

As for your other question I think someone has stated they could get over 20 streams going. I personally have had over 15 in a test case but never really have more than a few going at a time.

QuickSync/iGPU share system RAM, so I think itā€™s really just down to the power of the encoding chip.

I wouldnā€™t recommend a 9900k at all, itā€™s a complete wasteā€¦

The T will use less power overall, even if it is marginal.

G4900 and G4900T have similar performance.

Thanks. So the more system RAM the more simultaneous transcodes you could run?

Just wanting to make sure I donā€™t bottleneck my system with too little RAM, if thatā€™s the limiting factor.

And re. the 9900- the only advantage this would have is if Iā€™m running olmultiple other CPU intensive processes (ie unpacking in SAB, analyzing files in Plex, Rclone encryption etc)?

Quick Question:
Intel Celeron G4900 or Intel Celeron G5900?
Should I still invest in LGA 1151v2 or should I go with a LGA 1200 plattform?
The Price is about the same where I live.

If the price is the same i would go comet lake (LGA 1200), but just know you are leading the charge and there may be a early adopter tax when it comes to problems. It would probably be just fine though.

1 Like

LGA1200 motherboards are the same price as 1151?

What are your thoughts on running an all-in-one setup under Unraid with Intel Quicksync (currently have a Xeon E-2176g I can use) compared to having them separate?

Iā€™m mulling over the idea of moving everything under Unraid instead of having them separate and just turning my current Unraid setup into JBODs.

You can do it that way, but itā€™s generally recommended to keep Plex hardware separate for QS. Itā€™s much simpler to setup and maintain a separate box, and youā€™re not potentially sharing resources between Plex and other containers/VMs.

2 Likes

@Geran_Brown and @ALANMAN , I have a similar question. I want to build a Plex server and Unraid NAS (nothing currently), including some dockers and VM. My thought is to do all-in-one using Xeon E-2246g. This should handle everything and last me quite some time. Iā€™m not exactly sure how putting together a separate box just for Plex would be advantageous. In fact, I think it would add complexity because then I would want to add 10Gb direct connect Ethernet because drives separate from Plex. Iā€™d also be paying more for a second system and for more watts (although minor). I can see where this could be advantageous for someone with an existing unraid system that doesnā€™t have QuickSync. But, for me, building energy efficient, powerful system from scratch, is there any advantage? Am I missing anything regarding Plex on a separate box advantages? Thanks

Exactly how much power do you figure youā€™ll be saving going this route? Isnā€™t power also dependent on load, which will theoretically be the same.
Have you also considered what other power saving activities you could be doing as well if thatā€™s a top priority for you (lower ac, switch to led lights, turn things off when not in use).

Btw, thatā€™s an expensive cpu. Wonā€™t even get into how long it would take to recoup that cost over a small electrical bill savings.