[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Even if you do transcode a ton, the G4900 can handle it. It can do 20+ 1080p transcodes. The whole point is that a Nvidia GPU is not necessary!

If you want to run all of those services, my advice is to run them on your NAS, and keep Plex separate on the HP 290. Build something cheap like a basic [Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

I’m building a new plex server to make use of quicksync, and can either use a i7-6700k (with a ATX motherboard) or i5-9400 (with a m-ATX motherboard). The combo I don’t use for the plex server will be my desktop/gaming/office machine with a 1070 video card added.

I’ve got at most 4 users (4 max simulations) who watch via iOS, plex on windows machine, fire tablets, Xbox or Roku (with Roku and Xbox being used the most). No 4k content at all.

Will I notice a differerence at all between the 2 CPUs in terms of transcoding with quick sync on 1080P viewing?

Also, I was thinking of using Windows (as that’s what my 10+ year old Althon II based server is curently using) but it looks like Ubuntu might be worth a try?

Thanks!

Currently diving into this with an EliteDesk 800 G4;

I’d like to use this box for a few other minor uses - and am thinking about installing unraid on it - but its primary purpose would remain a plex server.

Out of interest, if I go down the unraid path - can I pass through the cpu hardware decoding, would I be losing anything by doing that?

/cc @JDM_WAAAT

Really glad I came across this post, super helpful.

Tell me if my current PLEX rebuild idea makes sense. I’m going to gut my supermicro SuperChassis 813MTQ-350CB which currently has an Xeon E3 V2 and reuse all internal bits except for the Motherboard, Ram and CPU. In its place put a Celeron G4930, ASRock B365M Pro4 motherboard and a 2x4GB kit of 2400 DDR4. I plan on only using a 1TB Crucial NVME for storage.

My thought is since the 1155 socket of the Xeon and the 1151 socket of the Celeron can use the same CPU cooler and the TDP of the celeron is lower than the Xeon there should by no issue reusing the cooler for this build. Thoughts?

Should be fine.

Reference this guide, you may find better deals.

How would I go about setting this up instead of going through my switch? I checked the guide and there was no other reference to it besides in the Hardware recommendation section.

It’s pretty easy to do direct connect 10Gb to your NAS, generally you need two compatible (identical are the easieist) 10Gb cards and a cable, you assign them to their own subnets and point them at each other.

1 Like

Hello. I’m having trouble getting the fstab automount to work.
Stuff mounts if I manually run “mount -a” but they don’t mount automatically on boot up.

I’ve got two users in Unraid, one Root and one named “transcode” which is the same name as my user in Ubuntu. Both “transcode” users have the same password. I’ve got NFS shares set to private in Unraid.
I’m wondering if I messed up something in my fstab but any troubleshooting advice would be much appreciated

Hello builders!

I’ve acquired a Lenovo Ideacentre 510S (i5 7400, 8GB RAM) to hw transcode /w igpu. Has anyone done this with OpenMediaVault instead of Unraid? I can’t seem to reach my shares from the QuickSync box. Thanks.

I have the same problem- one of my two network shares will automount but the other doesn’t. I just mount -a and then leave the plex server on permanently

I playing with the thought off bulding a transcoding server so does it make a huge difference between the nuber of streams i would be able to transcode between the Intel Celeron G4900 or Intel Celeron G4900t. becuse i would like to go with a low enrgy build and there for a Intel Celeron G4900t would be better i guess what are you thoughts? btw how many streams could i get with those processors?

Thanks for all the info in HW transcoding.

Does anyone know what the limiting factor is on how many transcodes you can run on QuickSync?

NVENC seems to be limited by GPU RAM. What about QS?

And would a i9 9900k get more simultaneous HW transcodes than say a G4900?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but the regular G4900 will throttle down on power when not in use…so the benefits offset any energy performance gains by getting the T model. I would guess they both idle around the same wattage.

As for your other question I think someone has stated they could get over 20 streams going. I personally have had over 15 in a test case but never really have more than a few going at a time.

QuickSync/iGPU share system RAM, so I think it’s really just down to the power of the encoding chip.

I wouldn’t recommend a 9900k at all, it’s a complete waste…

The T will use less power overall, even if it is marginal.

G4900 and G4900T have similar performance.

Thanks. So the more system RAM the more simultaneous transcodes you could run?

Just wanting to make sure I don’t bottleneck my system with too little RAM, if that’s the limiting factor.

And re. the 9900- the only advantage this would have is if I’m running olmultiple other CPU intensive processes (ie unpacking in SAB, analyzing files in Plex, Rclone encryption etc)?

Quick Question:
Intel Celeron G4900 or Intel Celeron G5900?
Should I still invest in LGA 1151v2 or should I go with a LGA 1200 plattform?
The Price is about the same where I live.

If the price is the same i would go comet lake (LGA 1200), but just know you are leading the charge and there may be a early adopter tax when it comes to problems. It would probably be just fine though.

1 Like