Chenbro SR301 - 4 bay Mini-ITX NAS - Seller accepts $90 offers, free shipping

Question for those who have one - how loud does it get and how are the thermals? I’d like to keep it under my desk, but I’m hoping to keep my (near) silent setup.

Shouldn’t be very loud at all. The front fan is 120mm so you can always swap it with an Arctic P12 PWM PST to make it quieter.

Offered $85, after some back and fourth he wanted $100. Probably just wanted to make more $$ at the end.

1 Like

Received mine. It has sas as the HD connector, SATA on the backplane->mobo side.

Will investigate more tonight. So hold off on the reverse breakout cable

EDIT: The thick SAS drive from bit deals.tech fits on the side bracket

1 Like

Not bad for the psu, fsp 80 bronze!

1 Like

If that’s the case, these will still accept SATA/SAS drives, you’ll just need a SAS forward breakout cable if you want to use SAS/SATA drives, or you can use onboard SATA from your motherboard with only SATA drives.

8087 SAS forward breakout
8643 SAS forward breakout

Yeah I’m bummed. I have the reverse cable and was planning on using the sas ssd’s with my Samsung nvme 3tb monster in the pcie lane. Now I have to put the H1110 in

Up and running, the fans are pretty quiet. I have serious reservations about putting an adaptec hba in there due to air flow like @Marsh commented. We’ll see. I wish it had the sas/sas backplane and not sata in the back (I have two sas ssd’s I’d like to use here)

I would not use HOT Adaptec card in this case.

If I wanted to use SAS drives, there is a HP 4i4e ( 4 internal , 4 external ) card, it runs cooler.
I would strap a fan on the heatsink, there is a opening 4"x 2" on the side panel to draw fresh air.

Cooling for SAS 7200rpm drives is questionable.

There’s no reason to not use an adaptec card, just put a fan on it. It will be fine.

Another thing to mention, the 4x hot swaps have holes for 2.5 drives also.

I shot from the hip and bought the reverse breakout cable and 2x 3.5->2.5 adapters. Won’t need any of them now :pensive:

The case only support 4 swap bays.
By using HP 4i4e would not waste the extra 4 ports of the cards.
Gaining 4 external ports for external DAS, same price as Adaptec card.

Any reason to go with that Adaptec ASR-8405 rather than just an LSI 9211-4i? Looks like you can snag an LSI for a bit cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353697626553?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8gP7vMZqQ5a&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=NdGnj5MYRha&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I’m my case I am using sas ssd and want to maximize whatever speed I can (I doubt I will ever hit 12g though)

If you are using any type of 3.5 disk then it probably won’t matter

Edit: the 9211 is pcie 2.0 and doesn’t recognize 4kn drives. So if either of those matter to you…

It does recognize 4Kn drives, it cannot boot from them.

HP LSI 9217-4i4e SAS 6Gb/s Raid Storage Controller Card 725504-002 792099-001 | eBay

$18.88 each , Seller removed BO option, I paid $15 with free shipping.

I run the card without heatsink fan, just use front Antec case fan.
( not in the Chenbro case )

The motherboard I cabbaged onto has four sata ports so I’ll need a card for internal and external. 4i4e will probably fit the bill but want to find one that has a low profile bracket.

Never messed with the Adaptec cards but if anyone can recommend one that would be great.

For anyone looking to reference what I plan to use in this build, check out this post:

1 Like

Mine arrived today, seems like decent build quality…rest of the other parts ordered… Assume that 250w PSU going to be enough… does not appears to be easily replaceable with standard PSU’s with the plug port on the top (or bottom) vs. rear (vs. looking at standard ATX PSU orientation in a standard tower case)… I am probably going to use for offsite backup of my most critical stuff, so probably do 4x10tb or 12’s, probably SAS3 just for shits and grins.

1 Like

I don’t intend to dismantle the psu bracket soon, but is Chenbro using an extension cord in the top part that loops the cord to the back panel?