Chenbro SR301 - 4 bay Mini-ITX NAS - Seller accepts $90 offers, free shipping

Any reason to go with that Adaptec ASR-8405 rather than just an LSI 9211-4i? Looks like you can snag an LSI for a bit cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353697626553?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8gP7vMZqQ5a&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=NdGnj5MYRha&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I’m my case I am using sas ssd and want to maximize whatever speed I can (I doubt I will ever hit 12g though)

If you are using any type of 3.5 disk then it probably won’t matter

Edit: the 9211 is pcie 2.0 and doesn’t recognize 4kn drives. So if either of those matter to you…

It does recognize 4Kn drives, it cannot boot from them.

HP LSI 9217-4i4e SAS 6Gb/s Raid Storage Controller Card 725504-002 792099-001 | eBay

$18.88 each , Seller removed BO option, I paid $15 with free shipping.

I run the card without heatsink fan, just use front Antec case fan.
( not in the Chenbro case )

The motherboard I cabbaged onto has four sata ports so I’ll need a card for internal and external. 4i4e will probably fit the bill but want to find one that has a low profile bracket.

Never messed with the Adaptec cards but if anyone can recommend one that would be great.

For anyone looking to reference what I plan to use in this build, check out this post:

1 Like

Mine arrived today, seems like decent build quality…rest of the other parts ordered… Assume that 250w PSU going to be enough… does not appears to be easily replaceable with standard PSU’s with the plug port on the top (or bottom) vs. rear (vs. looking at standard ATX PSU orientation in a standard tower case)… I am probably going to use for offsite backup of my most critical stuff, so probably do 4x10tb or 12’s, probably SAS3 just for shits and grins.

1 Like

I don’t intend to dismantle the psu bracket soon, but is Chenbro using an extension cord in the top part that loops the cord to the back panel?

Can Confirm…

The SAS backplane is only SAS2, so there’s no reason to go for SAS3 drives unless they are the same price or cheaper.

Looking at the HD connector on the backplane…will it work with a shucked SATA WD drive?

Yes it will.

1 Like

Been using this case with my unraid setup for a few hours. Hard drives are heating up way above normal. 46c on a couple. I had the side doors off so maybe that impacted things. I have that fan hooked into a motherboard header…I may opt to put it on the backplane…maybe it will get to spinning faster. Air movement in this case may be problematic.

Edit: I think I’m going to flip that air duct 180 degrees if I can and make sure the fan mounted to it is blowing air out the front. I assume it’s pulling hot air off the motherboard/cpu and it’s exhausting to nowhere. Not the greatest design. The motherboard should have decent intake with the psu and side vents it shouldn’t need any kind of air duct. I assume maybe that was meant for some kind of passively cooled cpu.

I have ssd’s that run in the Yellow range for HD Sentinel. Let me know how your experiment works, will the bracket affix to the reverse orientation? My next solution, next time I power down, is to put a different fan in there

I’m going to rip into it tomorrow morning, really can’t tell without taking it apart. I’m thinking I may just replace that fan right outright…doesn’t seem to move any air. Short of sticking my finger in there I would swear it isn’t running but Unraid reports two fans running. I didn’t tinker with the bios settings so there may be something set up wrong in it. For as hot as the system is one fan is staying around 750rpm which seems weird.

Unraid (Basic)
Ryzen 5600G
ASROCK X470 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard
32 GB Ram
9212-4i4e
ADATA 512GB NVME m.2 (currently sent to Windows VM)

Edit 1:

Not that hard to take that air duct off and I do believe it can be reversed. It clips in and the fan above it clips in similarly. I think that’s a 140mm fan and it’s got a lot of hub which isn’t helping matters. I’m testing it without the air duct on and added another fan to the front grill going to the 3 pin connector on the backplane to see how it does. I also played with my bios fan settings and got that big fan moving a bit quicker. I think the biggest issue is the motherboard is happy as can be but the hard drive cage is another matter. Also moved my cache drive to the opposite side 2.5" spot from the LSI card because it’s heat is heating that up. That fan in the front will probably provide some added benefit for that. It’s just temporary but I may make it permanent.

Edit 2: The OEM fan is a AVC DS12025B12E. I haven’t found what it’s rpm range is supposed to be. I went for another 120mm fan NZXT FN-120RB that has a smaller hub design…should move more air given the circumstances. Also in theory uses slightly less power than the stock fan.

Chenbro’s offering covers up most of the holes it’s supposed to be pushing air thru with the hub of the fan. I’m sure we’re splitting hairs here but not really considering where I started and where it’s ending up.

The fan housing is fairly easy to understand once you get familiar with it. The blue connector slips in and out so you can remove the whole assembly by prying out the big blue detent thingy. It’s hard to explain…

So far my temps are looking good doing it this way (reverse 180) and the NZXT fan is now connected to the 3 pin connector on the backplane. Thus far I’ve went from a few of my drives up around 48 c to now 34 to 36c but I don’t have all the panels back on so I would anticipate that getting a bit warmer. I think in the prior case they were usually around 35 to 38C. My cache drive is a bit warm for my liking but I’m not sure it’s in any danger…36 to 40C. Not happy with the CPU temp either but I got this motherboard with the CPU already stuck in and just sent it on it’s way…probably should remove and make sure it’s happy with proper thermal paste never know what ding dong put it together.

Edit 3: after a couple hours it’s heating up but weirdly the cpu is reporting cooler…go figure. So far the best solution has been to remove the air duct and stick a fan in the front grille by whatever means. Going back in for more tinkering. Edit 3b: found a 140mm fan and jammed it into the front…it actually fits fairly snugly without screws. I need to find a 3 pin extension to turn it the way I want to but for now the air duct and 120mm fan are removed.

1 Like

46C is 100% fine. I wouldn’t be concerned unless I see drive temps above 55C.

Are you sure about this? The Chenbro website describes the SR301 HDD backplane as “12Gb/s SATA & SAS.” Link: Chenbro - Products

They still make that SR301 series of products but the one in the link is an earlier version. Revision 1.1 I believe.

Thanks, good to know!

@Jhunter844 your download link is local…

@anemoiac HDD speeds won’t even touch SAS2 limits, SAS3 will not make a difference whether the chassis supports it or not.