Unraid vs Proxmox

Hello all,

This post stems a little from my previous one about my upgrades/intentions here. So I wanted to discuss the differences between Unraid and Proxmox, as well as get some input and see what is generally preferred amongst the community.

I have looked into Unraid a little bit and noticed that you can do virtualization as well as RAID and Docker containers. With my small knowledge of setting up and running Proxmox for a little while, you can generally just do virtualization. I was curious how well, specifically the virtualization/Docker side of things, functions on Unraid. What do you guys prefer (Proxmox or Unraid)? How well is Unraids virtualization setup and what are some pros and cons between the two? Do you use one or the other, or both?

Unraid has a lot of documentation / videos for VM and Docker use. I’d recommend starting there. Then if you need to move beyond, get a TMM or Qotom style box to familiarize yourself with Proxmox.

Proxmox and LXC / VM->Containers might have more “power” in the end because of the customization that you can do within a VM. The VM setup in Unraid is so easy to use, and for the bulk of people it’s probably the way to go.

If you want to spend more time learning and debugging things, but also having possible access to features that aren’t evident in Unraid’s feature set, Proxmox is the way to go.

I haven’t heard some of those terms before, or maybe I just don’t know the abbreviations. What exactly is TMM and Qotom? Also LXC?