Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 on Ubuntu Server Slow

Hi All,
I recently bought the HP G4 Micro Tower posted over in the deals section (HP ProDesk 400 G4 Micro Tower - 7th Gen Pentium G4560 2C/4T, 8GB DDR4 - $119.00 (seller accepts $90 offers)) for a dedicated plex server. I loaded Ubuntu Server 20.04 on it, and immediately noticed an issue. My download speed was being throttled to a very slow rate maxing out around 30 mbps on a gigabit line. Upload was correct at 40 mbps.

It seems like the problem i’m running into is that each connection is throttled to 4 mbps. I can confirm this with a single-threaded speedtest which clocks in right around 4 mbps.

I researched the issue, blacklisted the included driver and installed the original from realteks website which didn’t net me different results. I also installed the latest build of 20, as well as 18.04 and 16.04 just to make sure none worked differently. They all had this problem.

Has anyone else faced this issue with the RTL8111/8168/8411 networking chipset? What else can i try to solve it?

I have already installed Windows 10 as well and the issue is not present there. It only happens on Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance!

That’s really odd. Perhaps @riggi has some insight.

1 Like

That’s what I thought too!
I read in a number of places that folks on older kernels (mine is not older) were having issues with the auto-selected r8169 driver causing them to have to manually download r8168 from realtek and install. Though the advice was old I tried that a few different ways including manual install as well as using the now-built-in apt install and the behavior was the same, single connections throttled to 4 mbps and multi-connections capping out at 30-40 mbps. Please note i verified these results with iperf3, speedtest-cli, and saw in in the real world pulling down git images. I thought I took a trip to the late 2000s.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Seems like the issue was caused by PCI Power State Management being turned on in the BIOS (default). Once I turned it off everything is now back to normal, and even my windows speeds are faster than before.

1 Like

All back to normal after switching that?

1 Like