I have already asked this question in OTIS qsv hw transcoder thread, but after some consideration I came to the conclusion that a separate thread would be the best approach. (don’t worry, I’ll be removing that post upon posting )
I am planning to set up a dedicated transcoding plexbox. I would store my media on a separate NAS machine connected via a 1 GbE connection.
- most often only a single stream
- max 4 concurrent streams, but this hasn’t ever happened yet
- I want to be safe for the time that I upgrade to a 4k TV
- I don’t want to increase my electric bill too much
Options I am currently considering:
- SBC with Intel J3455 - Apollo Lake, but limited to 8 GB of RAM maximum ( YES - I am sure. I have this board w/ RAM on hand, so I’d only need a PSU, SSDs and a case)
- Intel NUC with J4005 - Gemini Lake - would also need to buy RAM and a SSD - limited to 8 GB of RAM
- HP / Lenovo USFF PC with Intel G4400(T) - some of them only have DisplayPort output, are there displayport monitor emulators that work well? - limited to 64 GB of RAM, so not much of a concern
- Dell Wyse 5070 - Intel J5005 - needs a drive and ram - limited to 8 GB of RAM
- Lenovo M700 - Intel G4400 - SFF, not USFF -> this is the cheapest option
My NAS is HP DL380e with 2x E3-2450L, so I don’t suppose I can enable quicksync over there and I don’t want to plug in GPU. (it would cause iLO to ramp up the fans).
Which option would you go with, were you in my boat?