[Official] Recommended SAS2 HBA (internal & external)

Will the 9207-8i work well with X8SIL-F (NK1)? Or should I go for the 9210 that the guide suggests?

Both will work just fine.

Thanks for the great list, I’ve been doing a bunch of research on the subject as I get into it.

1. Can you clarify the 4Kn support? Does it mean that the older generation cards simply won’t be able to work with (read/write) 4K sectors at all, and will be limited to 512n?

2. And have you come across any PCIe 3.0 cards which are exclusively “4e”? I suppose the 9207-4i4e would do the job, I’m just curious.

The cards with external SAS ports seem to be cheaper than the ones with internal ones. Is there any reason one can’t get the external ports and then just run the wires back inside the case to save cost? There’s a very wide gap in the cost for 4 port/16 SATA heads LSI cards.

Thanks!

Is it possible? Yes. Is it recommended? Probably not. External to internal cables aren’t cheap, by the time you buy 4 of them you will have negated the savings buying an external card. Have you checked Bitdeals? They currently have an LSI 9211-8i for $30 with free shipping.

Beck (an olde timey musician) wrote a song about me. He may be the Kwisatz Haderach.
Last week, after soaking up y’alls’ wisdom, I ordered an HP Elitedesk 800 Mini G5-9500T figuring that device would manage Plex, possibly Blue Iris and HomeKit. The plan was to shoehorn a compatible PCIe riser if necessary to attach a sas controller with my 6 14TB HDD’s hanging off of it in a 2U rack drawer. Nothing fancy, nothing noisy, high WAF /twitch.

I’m trying to eat the elephant here. I think that I’ve just ordered a huge mouthful of parts reserved for savory foam connoisseurs and people who like to play with their food: the old EMC KTN-STL3. Admiral Ackbar has entered the chat…

EMC KTN-STL3: 15 Bays total (shipped with 13x 100GB Flash SSDs and 1x 300GB Drive). Shipping more expensive than the DAE.

So much for a low energy NAS. As the man said, soy un pendego.

Forging ahead.

It seems to me that I should now select the LSI 9206-16e to connect the Elitedesk 800 to the KTN-STL3. One PCIe slot to rule them all or something. Is that viable? The verbiage on the art of server chap’s description for this HBA describes Eye of Mordor heat being generated. I need an adult! Is the super high temps to be expected with casual NAS access or will He be summoned only when I back up my special cats folders?

Neither of these devices has been delivered so I can’t provide specific details yet. Reading all of the other KTN-STL3 posts here and elsewhere it sounds like this is a breech baby.

Thoughts? Feelings?

You were planning on using the m.2 M-key slot to an adapter to ribbon cable outside the case to an x8 PCIe riser to the HBA? With power from a line spliced into the KTN-STL3’s PSU? Is there a reason the NK4 or similar build wouldn’t work in your situation? You could still add the DAS to an NK4 NAS.

1 Like

This all seems too complicated. I don’t even get what you’re trying to do.

Which means, don’t do it.

Yeah, it appears to be the wrong way to go. I would use the Elitedesk 800 mini as a plex server. I cant recommend it for plex and blue iris becuase plex works so much better in linux and blue iris runs in windows only. So I would either switch from blueiris to zoneminder and all the learning that will involve and mount a network share from a NAS. You can find a smaller xeon or something and build a box to interface with your EMC shelf
for the NAS if you want to keep that. a 2u rosewill would work since your drives are external. But that all being said, you will always regret not doing it the right way first.

1 Like

Thanks Sean! Awesome advice. I’ll post the shelf to one of the sale boards and continue looking for a suitable jbod chassis.

Thanks, yes, I lost the plot during my research. Don’t go grocery shopping when you’re hungry…

Hello all, I’m looking for an HBA with external ports for a DAS which is how I got here. More specifically, I need a low profile card with the capability of connecting 16 drives. I’ve narrowed it down to the LSI SAS9202-16e and the LSI 9206-16e. I’m new to this so I don’t quite know what the technical differences are. From the original post I can see that it uses different PCIe slots and the 9206 draws a lot more power which I’m curious about. As it stands I prefer the lower power draw, but if the additional power draw is worth some special benefit then it could sway me. Lastly, the 9202 is at least twice the price of the 9206, again, because I don’t know the differences I don’t know if it’s worth it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciate.

Adaptec ASR-78165 (24 lanes - 8 internal, 16 external)

This should take care of your needs.

The only reason I wasn’t considering an Adaptec is because I saw somewhere you commented on the heat of one and recommended a fan. I don’t know if that applies across the board or not, but I’m running a Lenovo p320 Tiny so heat is a pretty major concern. With that being said I have re-evaluated my needs and I think I’m good with an 8 drive capacity so I may just opt for the 9207-8e. Your help is much appreciated.

Could someone point me in the right direction to buy a genuine 9207-8i card please. I think this is what I need and cables to finish my build (3x18TB & 3X16TB). Seems really hard to find genuine in UK so if anyone could help please.

Have you taken a look at the Adaptec cards yet?

Power usage sees too high. UK power is expensive. Was looking for a 9207 / hp h220 / dell 9217-8i or better for not much cash, this part has taken weeks of research and feels like I’m still bo where near the finish line. Any help would be appreciated

The power usage of Adaptec cards is on par with similar LSIs. Not every company measures power usage the same way as well.

Hi, most of these cards are sold from China, are most of these cards counterfeit or are some of them genuine. If they are counterfeit, do they still work as intended or should you not buy them at all? The few cards I find in the US are very expensive to get to Europe, almost as much as the item itself.

Does this also apply to the eBay cards that are pre-flashed in IT mode and advertised for ZFS/FreeNAS?
Example: