[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

it seems to be kissing here; its OK to just add pressure?

Make sure everything is seated correctly. Here’s what mine looked like after I installed it

1 Like

Yea I figure how to close it. Its like a lever. I screwed it in just a little bit and let it kind of slide in. It’s been so long sense I’ve built a PC. 14 years or something like that. haha.

Hi, new here but i got cinda interested in the hp290 box so had a question that i really couldent find any answer to

1. how many drives can you have in i regarding connectors, 2 sata and 1nvme (besides installing a extra card)
  2. how many drives can you fit in the chassi, is 3ssd possible?

/m

I have this running as a PFSense box and during the last couple of weeks I have had several long power outages and I found this machine did not restart automatically afterward. I was wondering if anyone found a way to force an auto-restart or if this is something I will have to do manually?

In most (if not all) computers there is a setting in the Power section of the BIOS that determines what the computer will do when power is restored after a power outage. The name of the setting varies from one manufacturer to another but is usually fairly easy to identify. The options for the setting are something equivalent (again exact wording varies) to “Always On”, “Stay Off”, and “Return to Last State”. You will want to make sure that the setting is set to the “Always On” option to make sure the computer reboots automatically after power is restored.

I hope that helps.

If you go into the BIOS there is a setting to power on as soon as there is power. I have mine set to do this and it works well. Let me know if you cant find it and I’ll get the exact setting.

@ron.goree and @cmichchip I found the setting and updated it. Thank you for the help

Does the total amount of possible simultaneous transcodes depend on the source video’s codec? I saw that Radio said, “Probably around 20+ 1080p h264 or 12+ 1080 h265, so long as no image-based subtitles need to be burned.” However, I haven’t seen any other reference to the hardware transcoding being able to transcode more 1080p h264 videos at a time vs 1080p h265 videos at a time. Is anyone able to confirm Radio’s findings? I’m just starting out here and if the above is true I’d rather encode my Blu-ray rips in h264 over h265 but if it isn’t I’d rather encode in h265 to save the hard drive space.

I don’t have definitive numbers on 264 vs 265 transcoding, but I can confirm that yes, you will get fewer h265 transcodes than h264 transcodes on the same CPU. Intel released a white paper on QuickSync transcode performance back in 2016 which explains it in great detail. Personally, I would recommend using h264 for your encoding, unless you exclusively use devices that can direct play h265 content. Drive space is cheap.

Thanks for the insight. I’ll probably use h264 then.

Edit: Just to follow up here, I’ve since realized that h264 vs h265 simultaneous transcodes is not a bottle neck because internally I’ll be direct playing over LAN and externally will be limited by bandwidth to about 4 streams. Leaving this insight here in case someone else is struggling with the same “should I store video encoded using h264 vs h265?” question.

Max RAM is 32 or 64gb?

Anyone able to answer this Q pls?

Also I wanted to put here for anyone looking for a representative power usage number I’m seeing 25-30w at “idle” with BlueIris and 4 4k cameras on h264.

With what CPU? That’s the biggest determining factor for power draw.

Sorry, stock G4900.

1 Like

And just for reference, this is not what idle means… If you’re towing a Jet Ski with truck on the highway at 55 MPH, that’s not idle.

Perhaps a more appropriate term would be “under the typical load of X”.

Hence the quotes…?

I’m really not trying to be a pedant but I do not want other people to be confused.
Idle has a very specific meaning.

Were you able to get 64GB of RAM to work? @ironicbadger and @Gwave were curious.

1 Like

I just ordered a 290 and also would like to know the memory limit.

the 9700k is the fastest cpu that you can put in that hw right?