[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Long time first time. Just started my HP 290 build for plex to replace my wife’s 10 year old mac mini that finally died and was a PITA for years. I haven’t opened up a PC in… 19 years since middle school. :slight_smile:

So far I successfully put in this 500gb NVME SSD, I then updated the BIOS through windows, downloaded ubuntu desktop to a flash drive, went through that whole process of installing ubuntu to the SSD. I then erased the 500GB HDD (with plans to replace it).
I replaced the RAM with this 4GB x2 & foolishly took a day to realize that i didn’t push it in hard enough to seat them.
Ubuntu is working well as a first timer, I did the minimal install and then downloaded PMS, which i think is on the SSD and nothing is on the stock drive.

I have had serious HD format & permission issues from the external HDs that hold all my media & just went through the process of changing my 3 TB external from HFS+ to NFTS as my exFAT external is also permission locked but at least has read capabilities.

Needless to say that headache will hopefully no longer be an issue once the 10TB WD shuccable drive arrives and I replace the stock HD with that.

My question is, do i format the drive as an external before i shuck it or just shuck, replace the HD internally, +/- formatting in ubuntu, and then transfer over my collection all within ubuntu? Sorry for the noob questions. I read through this thread multiple times and feel like i learned a lot of advanced things but still have some basic deficiencies.

What do you mean blue Iris?

• Crucial 16GB Kit (16GBx1) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT2K8G4DFS824A

@Kong so you’re using 16GB of ram on the same board?

• Intel® Core™ i5-8500T Processor with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste

You’ve upgraded the CPU? Why? because you’re using as a multi purpose right?

Yes, contrary to the documentation, it can support up to 32GB with 2 sticks of 16GB.

Yes, upgraded the CPU so it could do more than just Plex when I needed it to. No regrets and I may do it with another HP290 I own. 4 watts idle with Ubuntu isn’t too shabby.

1 Like

Thanks mate. If I just wanted to run Ubuntu, with Plex… do you think the 16gb nvme option is good enough as a dedicated plex beast with a sperate NAS…

Absolutely not, I would recommend 256GB as a minimum and 512GB as an ideal size.

1 Like

You’ll want something bigger like JDM said above. Especially if you turn on video preview and chapter thumbnails.

I assume he’s running Blue Iris on Windows or much less likely a recent development is to run Blue Iris as a docker container.

Blue Iris being a video surveillance (non-free) software that is mainly for Windows.

For those interested in an HP290 icon for Unraid or other use, I made a few and wanted to share.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks!!

Also interested in the passthrough adaptor for the DS380B.

What motherboard/cpu/ram are you using on the DS380B?

He’s using this adaptor.

1 Like

There’s no mother board in the ds380b. all it houses is the drives and a psu. Everything else is in the hp290.

1 Like

How did you connect these? Inside the Silverstone DS380B? The SAS HBA has room for the 8 drives… right?

Did you need two Dual Mini SAS SFF-8088 to SAS36P SFF-8087? One for the HP and another for the Silverstone?

The 860 EVOs are connected to the onboard SATA connections in the hp290. I used a SATA to SATA Y cable to get power to both.

And if I understand your other question correctly I used 2x SFF8088 to SFF8088 cables from the SAS HBA (LSI 9207-8e) in the hp290 to the 2 port 8088 to 8087 passthrough adapter. I connected 2 SFF8087 to Forward SATA breakout cables inside the DS380B to connect the drives housed in it.

What do your temps look like? What CPU fan did you use?

With about 40 docker containers idling, the CPU is at 20% and 50C. I used the OEM fan that came in the HP290.

40 docker containers!?! What the hell are you doing hahahahaha. All using unraid?

Thanks for the confirmation. I’m really excited about my build.

Nah, this 290’s running Ubuntu. Number of containers gets a little inflated because I’m running 2x all the various *arr services. Plus guacamole, *arr related indexer, traefik, cloudlfare DNS record updater for traefik, f2b, netdata, graylog/elasticsearch/mongo, etc. It never ends

1 Like

guacamole, netdata, and traefik looks interesting. cool.