[Official] HP 290-p0043w Owner's Thread

Just got the notification and eBay out of stock

Deployed my pfSense box

4 Likes

The documentation doesn’t say that it can support 16 gb of ram via 2x 8gb sticks, but I see in the description that it works fine with 12 gig.

Has anyone tried dual 8gb sticks to get 16?

I need to come visit your garage! Look at all those goodies!

Actually, from what I hear it can support 2x16GB sticks, so long as the processor has support for 32GB.

Here’s a screenshot of the HP 290 with an Intel G4900 performing 21 QuickSync hardware transcodes while performing a library scan.

4 Likes

Seems like it’s back in stock at the moment! May the odds be ever in your favor!

I don’t need a second. I don’t need a second…

I have 8. You should have more.

1 Like

I don’t have $800, but I’ll accept donations!

I grabbed one for a pfsense & VPN box. And I grabbed the 16GB NVMe drive off eBay and screws of Amazon. Thanks for all of the links.

I plan on putting in an Intel PRO/1000 Dual PT network card.

1 Like

Damn. Too slow. Good, I didn’t need one. :smiling_imp:

It did all those transcodes with just the CPU? No graphics card? Under Ubuntu? Ok, back in stock, I’ll grab one, probably to try pfsense.

1 Like

Yup, with QuickSync (Hardware Transcoding) enabled.

This feature requires Plex Pass.

2 Likes

You can use visualping.io (Free, can monitor any page, see my setup video at Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software). Worked for me, picked one up yesterday morning. Or monitor Discord closely as sometimes folks post when the unit goes back in stock.

2 Likes

Forgot it requires the Pass. My usage is 99% one user direct playing, so can’t justify the Pass at the moment. Only feature that has tempted me is downloading to a mobile device. Wish I could just pay a small amount for that feature.

1 Like

This might be enough for me to move my plex off my nas jail and into this guy, if I don’t do the router thing. My Anniversary Builds don’t have the QuickSync, and I think BSD can’t do GPU accel anyway into a jail.

I think you can? If you pay for the mobile app by itself?

Unlocking the mobile app with the one-time activation charge doesn’t enable mobile sync or any other Plex Pass features. The only way to enable sync is to either purchase the Plex Pass yourself, or to be a part of a Plex Home of a user who has Plex Pass. Also, being in a Plex Home only allows you to sync content from that server, not any other shared servers you have access to.

2 Likes

Came in a massive box!

A free mouse and keyboard?!? Amazing!

Now I just need the rest of my goodies to come in. Waiting on a low profile bracket, and the optane memory.

1 Like