[Official] Aruba S2500 Managed Ethernet Switch (PoE+/10GSFP+)

SFP+10GBASE-T Transceiver Copper RJ45 Module Compatible for Cisco SFP-10G-T-S… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQBFHNL/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_QT2128RZYMC7TS7N61X1 via @amazon

got that one cisco version

Sean,

Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay in responding.

• Yes, my plan is to use the S2500 to do L3 routing
  • I am reading about ACLs now, never done that
  • S2500 is the DHCP server, that works fine
  • I have been playing around with how traffic flows from VL to VL
  • While I can connect to both wired and wireless with static and DHCP, traffic is not routing where I want.
  • I am playing with Internet access today

Here is what I am trying to create:

Hi Bill,

Yes that’s certainly doable with the S2500; though its L3 capabilities are somewhat limited compared to many other switches. Static routes to each VLAN should be automatic once you’ve created IPs for the switch on each VLAN. You can check with ip route. On the switch, you’d need to add a default route via OPNSense’s VLAN1 IP, so the switch knows how to reach the internet. In addition, configure the DHCP server to send DHCP clients an option setting their default route to go via the switch’s IP on their VLAN. DNS would need to be configured separately (e.g., on OPN), so you’d probably want the DHCP server to assign static leases. The switch itself needs to have an upstream resolver configured, either manually or via DHCP from OPN over VLAN1 (you’d let OPN run the DHCP server for VLAN1, and let the switch be a DHCP client on that VLAN). And again, tell the S2500’s DHCP server to tell clients to use itself as DNS server.

I actually don’t do this (yet) in my own homelab, even though I have a fancy 40Gbps L3 switch with BGP, VRF, and all that jazz. I use the switch purely at L2, routing everything through OPNSense, and design the VLANs to minimise inter-VLAN traffic. The switch is assigned one IP (via DHCP) just for management. The port for OPN is a trunk with all VLANs tagged, as are AP ports. DHCP, local DNS, and inter-VLAN firewall rules are handled by OPN. The switch config is pretty simple this way, and it’s what I’d recommend to start out with.

Thanks Sean. I will take all this in and play around more today.

I was hoping you could go into more detail about the above quote. Do you mean there are more capable switches available at a similar price point, or just that there are more capable switches in general (probably that are much more expensive)?

I don’t have any experience with these enterprise class switches but I was thinking of getting one so that I could experiment with more advanced networking technologies. I was looking at these Aruba switches but also saw that earlier in this thread that someone mentioned some Brocade switches seemed to have similar capabilities. I know it is likely to be somewhat subjective, but is there any kind of generally accepted ranking for the various brands of enterprise equipment (based on quality, reliability, support, etc.)? For instance, is Aruba gear considered better or worse than Brocade gear, what gear is even better than both of them, etc?

Thank you for any assistance and answers that you can offer.

ICX6450 has identical port options, is usually slightly more expensive, and does L3 routing with ACLs at wirespeed, OSPF, etc. If you forgo SFP+, there are cheaper Ciscos that also do L3 just fine.

But this switch is the cheapest way so far to get 4x SFP+.

For replacement fans, are you guys using it as exhaust like the original?

Also, the sunon KDE throws an error while my other mb4 didn’t.

To mount any of the fans for the silent mod you can do this instead of drilling holes out. Just pick up some of these screws at Home Depot for $3 for two: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-40-x-1-1-4-in-Phillips-Flat-Head-Machine-Screws-6-Pack-28281/202706116

Then just tighten the nuts to the body of the fans and have a perfect connection with no modification needed.

Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/utu3AE2YcxATzVD58

2 Likes

I have a pair of S2500s. I followed this post to update the firmware, reset them, etc. They work fine if I set a static IP in the switch, but then they don’t appear in my dhcp list in my pfsense box of course.
If I set the switches instead to request an IP from my pfsense router, they don’t. They never show up in the router device list and don’t pull any IP address. Any idea what is going wrong?

Hey @xijio (Marshall) Just wanted to point out, My switch showed as 172.16.0.253 but could only connect via 172.16.0.254 and I noticed that in the setup there is a change in IP address. If you don’t mind editing this into the post so newcomers can understand.

Thanks

plug your computer into one of the front ports on the switch. Set the computer to DHCP and it should get a lease from the switch in the 172.16.0.0/24 subnet. (for me it was 172.16.0.253

Has anyone bought an inexpensive DAC cable for this switch and is known to work with the switch? plz let me know

First I tried a cheap DAC that I had already and it did not work. Then I got these: LOT of 5 NEW Molex 74752-1301 3.0M Cisco Compatible part number SFP-H10GB-CU3M | eBay

They work fine. This part number was posted somewhere in this thread and I can verify these worked to connect my S2500 to my server.

Has anyone tried downloading firmware for these lately? I cannot seem to find it on the site:

Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place, though.

Yep, turns out it’s here: https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JY285A&lang=&cc=&prodSeriesId=

If you bought it recently, there’s a good chance it’s already at the latest version available on the site, which for the S2500P is ArubaOS_MAS_7.4.1.12_72393 – hope that helps someone else with the same question.

1 Like

Can you share that file with us?

Would also be very interested in a copy of new firmware, that is what is holding me back from buying ones

To be clear, it’s not “new”. It’s from Oct 2019. The S2500-24P I bought on ebay from a popular reseller already had been updated to the latest.

I’m also not super comfortable posting a copy of what I downloaded when 1) it’s against the license to do that, and, while I’m an IP abolitionist, I’m not super eager to upload it to a public forum with my public persona attached, and 2) It’s free, you can just create an account and download it yourself.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m trying to help out a friend.

He has this switch and needs to disable STP so it will work with his google wifi, which is in a loop of sorts.

would anyone be able to give me the cli commands to accomplish this? Or any other instructions I guess.

He’s done a fair bit of googling and trying, but no luck so far.

//edit: seems like this is the correct way to do it How to disable spanning tree on Aruba Mobility Switches?

thanks,

• Jeff

Just bought one of the -48P models over the similar Brocade ICX6450 based on this thread. So, thanks!

While perusing the firmware updates I notice there’s the 7.4.1.12 version from Oct. 2019 that’s often brought up. However, there is also a version 7.4.0.7_80725 dated July 15, 2021. So a month or so old. So the question is: does anyone have any knowledge of whether it’s better to have the 2-year-old 7.4.1.12 or the month-old but lower version number 7.4.0.7?

Cheers!