[Official] Aruba S2500 Managed Ethernet Switch (PoE+/10GSFP+)

Some 48 port non-POE are available for $95 shipped

Putting it out there. Earlier this year, this seller accepted $100 offer for the 48p poe switch.

2 Likes

Holy shit. I offered $100 on that listing and it was accepted instantly.

3 Likes

Took me a while to get in on this but I offered $100 on that same listing and it was instantly accepted. Thanks @wakko

Edit: Someone else asked if it came with rack ears and it does indeed.

Also hereā€™s a picture of the packaging. The silver piece in the bottom of the picture was on top. It was packaged well and arrived in great condition.

2 Likes

Congrats I hope you enjoy. It a great unit

Hey folks, Iā€™m new here but have been trying to follow along on information about these switches.

One thing I just noticed today is that some of the switches are labelled (using the 24-port POE as example here) as ā€œS2500-24P POEā€ and some are labelled ā€œS2500-24P-4x10G POEā€. These show up at the top edge, near the LCD. I noticed the Aruba logo on the top left is also different between these two.

Do you happen to know why thatā€™s different? Is it just cosmetic or does it translate to functional changes as well? Does the ā€œS2500-24Pā€ also have 4x 10GB ports?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Darthray welcome to the community,

I believe that the non 10gb ones have only 1gbps connection rather then the 4 SFP 10gig ports on the 10gbps switch. Hope this helps.

King

Thank you, KingGGs. Just looked through all documentation I could find and apparently all S2500s should come with 4 SFP/SFP+ ports, which, as I understand it, would imply 10Gb support. However, I canā€™t explain why mine has a different finish and why it doesnā€™t list the ā€œ-4x10Gā€ suffix.

The DOM (which I believe is the ā€œDate Of Manufacturingā€) on the back of mine is 20160216, which I believe was the last year these were sold by Aruba/HPE (I think the ā€œend of saleā€ date was 31/Dec/2016). I guess what Iā€™m getting it as that my S2500 seems to be newer than some of the one I see around. I wonder if that would explain it.

Regardless, Iā€™m getting an SFP+ transceiver in the next day or so and Iā€™ll play with it. Letā€™s see if my S2500 will recognize it.

Dell branded SFP+ DAC cables work fine with a -48P.

1 Like

@KingGGs, whatā€™s the model # on the back of yours? Is it S2500-48P or the S2500-48P-US? How about the DOM?

Hi @darthray yes my model # is S2500-48P-US and the DOM is the 20121128. Also whats the importance of the DOM Iā€™m new to enterprise gear

Oh, that is just me trying to understand when Aruba changed their design and dropped the ā€œ-4x10Gā€ suffix. I donā€™t know much about enterprise gear either.

So far itā€™s looking like the new design doesnā€™t have that suffix, but I could be wrong. I think DOM is the ā€œdate of manufacturingā€. So far, it looks like they might have switched around 2014. I donā€™t have enough data to know for sure though. For reference, my S2500-24P has a DOM of sometime in 2016 (donā€™t remember the full date).

Also, I was able to try a couple of 10GBASE-T transceivers yesterday and they got recognized and I was able to establish a 10Gbps link with the one computer I have here with a 10G adapter. I got another adapter and Iā€™ll run a few tests either tonight or tomorrow and post back what I got.

Is there a wiki or a post somewhere with a list of the working transceiver people have tried?

sorry just got my switch the other day and have not had the time to test it out so sorry idk which transceivers can work with these. also up in the main post, there is no list of working ones. Maybe you an PM @xijio he might know about this

Is there any info on the power draw of the non-PoE 24 and 48 port models? Finding lots of into for the PoE models but no luck on the others so far.

First off, I joined serverbuilds just because of how well this guide was done and in addition the helpfulness in the comments. I have been inventing, designing, and reviewing technology for 4 decades. One of the best guides and sites I have seen.

I bought my S2500-24P a few months back off eBay for $87 shipped. Very clean. No dust. Up until yesterday I had been playing around with it to power some cameras as I have outgrown my little 8 port Cisco POE. Now I am going at it 4-6 hours a day trying to learn about building a secure network. Not for my job, just hobby smart home stuff.

I work with network engineers in my job and can certainly talk the language. But this is my first real CLI, VLAN, router, firewall experience I will have done from scratch. I have 5 VLANS. I have ports associated with them. There is a DHCP pool for each VLAN. There are static reservations. 2 servers are connected to the 10G ports via fiber. I learned a lot and it all works. Well exceptā€¦

I am really struggling with routing VLAN to my OPNsense box for Internet, and just VLAN to VLAN routing. Just looking for any general advice on getting started. I have read the Aruba guides and still not clear. Any concise tutorials for routing with the S2500 out there?

Thanks!

Bill

1 Like

any SFP+ to RJ-45 for 10G copper using my Intel 10G nic with rj45?

What 10GBASE-T did you try that worked?

should I try these?

Those should be fine; they should be around $40 free ship on Amazon, and go by various names, all Chinese brands. Or Mikrotik S+RJ10 $55, or Unifi about $67.

Simplest way is to do routing on OPNSense and just use the Aruba for L2. OPNSense will already have routes for all the subnets, so just add firewall rules for whatever inter-VLAN traffic you want to allow.

Better way (faster throughput, lessens load on OPNSense) is to have the Aruba do L3 routing: define virtual interfaces and assign IPs, then set ACLs for inter-VLAN traffic. The link to the router would then just be a single VLAN for transit, not trunking all the VLANs. You can either have the Aruba be the DHCP server for its connected devices, or have it relay to another DHCP server. The DHCP server in PFSense doesnā€™t like relayed requests from a network itā€™s not directly attached to, so you might need to move DHCP to a pi or other box running ISC dhcpd. Iā€™m not sure if OPNSense has the same limitation.