[Official] Aruba IAP-207 AC access point review and setup

@Alastair_Grant Please share some pics when done as I will be doing this same project soon…

I drilled a small hole, just big enough to fit the cat6 through and terminated it. I have the AP mounted almost flush with about an inch of cat6 showing.

I purchased 3 of these IAP-207 to build my home wireless network. However, after 3 weeks of troubleshooting to make these work. I am ready to throw in the towel. I have all kind of issues with these IAP-207. I don’t see how these are enterprise grade hardware. There’s nothing instant about these access point. I have a mixed of wireless ac and n devices. There are times that the AP’s see my ac devices as GN. When this happens, the throughput just crawl on those devices. The connection signal are never constant. They are in and out. I was very excited about these because of the price point. However, after wrestling with these, I feel too good to be true label truly apply to these. If anyone have had a different experience and have actually got these to work as intended and can share their experiences, please do. I have less than a week before my 30 days return period is up…

I have an Asus RT-AC68U consumer grade product that works flawlessly as compared to this device…

I just hooked up an N device (brother laser printer) to mine and its connected as GN and reporting 50~ Mbps which isnt unreasonable for where its at in the house in relation to the AP.

These have been incredibly easy to install without problems.

@dhole Thanks for your reply. I would imagine a printer should not have an issue. I was referring to devices such as computers, tablets, and phones. These items are what I have in my home and users are actively using.

Ok everyone. It appears that one of the IAP-207 I received was defective and that’s what was causing all the issues…

Looks interesting, just ordered one for $55. The power adapter was sold out, ordered a jx990a for $15 from eBay. Was thinking of going with a TP Link AP, I assume this one should be better overall.

Great inspiration.
Didn’t have any epoxy but did have some #6 1/2" screws and 1/2" spacers

@Azoth What does it look like mounted?

Here is mine mounted using a similar setup. I like @Azoth use of plastic standoffs for spacing. I used a few small washers instead.

Where did you find 8.7 firmware. Latest I see on the website is 8.6.0.x

My Google Drive-Aruba Firmware

I think I found it on the HP Enterprise site. I had to create an account to download it.

https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;search=iap-207;fileTypes=SOFTWARE;products=Aruba%20Access%20Points%20(AP%20&%20IAP);productSeries=Aruba%20207%20Series%20Campus%20Access%20Points

*It may be I’m not even downloading the right one…It appears there are newer ones than the one I downloaded.

Search “IAP-207” and then on the left you’ll have to drill down and you’ll find them eventually. It calls it a IAP-207 campus access point. There are both standard and conservative firmware. I assume that is akin to “stable vs unstable” in linux talk.

Ignore all that…above…I downloaded it here. I remember now. You’ll need to verify your product number JX955A

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JX955A&lang=&cc=&prodSeriesId=

Did you use a company email address? I can’t register with my fastmail address.

edit: I was able to use the firmware you shared though, so thanks for that.

Here is my setup! I didn’t use any spacers, which made connecting the cat6 very difficult, but its got a much sleeker look now.

Wire rack made connecting the cables easy.

2 Likes

@ neldonado Awesome, glad my DIY method is proving useful to everyone!

I was able to register using my custom domain. Any idea why the auto check for update doesn’t find this release?

random question but any idea why these may be blocking me from using my Chromecast? only network change I’ve made before the issue arose

It may simply come down to buying enterprise level support, beyond that I have no idea. For what the vast majority of us are doing that kind of support isn’t needed. These firmware updates judging by the cryptic changelogs really don’t impact these older devices that much but there may be a lot of security stuff left out of the comments.

This may relate to your problem