[Official] Aruba IAP-207 AC access point review and setup

Excellent. Now i don’t feel so bad! A quick google search doesn’t show anything (free) to virtualize the controller like we can do w/ Docker and Unifi. Having the first IAP-207 act as the controller was very cool. I plugged in AP #2, it booted, downloaded the latest firmware, and configured it self. VERY slick.

@Flyinace2000 Yes, having the first IAP-207 acts as the controller is pretty cool. It definitely saves some cash and time. Also, what tools did you use to measure the Wifi Speed?

I did multiple test to fast.com (iPad, iPhone, old lg android tablet).

@Flyinace2000 fast.com and other speed test on the internet measure your internet speed. If you want to know your wifi speed, you can see it on your network connection, double click on your wifi adapter. You will see your wifi status. It will tell you the speed your device is connected to the wifi…Wifi_Status

Good point, I’ll just need a windows laptop first! :wink:

I guess a better in house test would be to transfer a decent size file that is on my cache drive in unRaid.

@Flyinace2000 You can do the same thing on a Mac
Wifi_Status_Mac

I’ve been looking for a decent AP for my business so i went ahead and got one coming. Thanks for the review and heads up on these. If it works out well I may end up retiring my current AP at my house. The ASUS RT-16? is a getting a bit long in the tooth.

Any one Installed these on drywall ceiling that can share pictures of mounting hardware they used?

Shipping to where I live is $146.46 … :frowning:

but still, great review :slight_smile:

Just now setting up.

First thing I figured out is the initial setup didn’t like Opera for some reason. I switched over to Edge and it worked fine. In Opera it would not take the admin/admin…weird.

My highly cable managed work setup. I already had some t-rail so I screwed it up to the wall and made it work

@Jhunter844 it looks like this is your basement. How’s your signal strength throughout your house?

Its actually in a storage area that used to be a garage many years ago

Signal seems to be good though. I haven’t had much time to really get into it.

Isn’t mounting these on a wall very non-optimal? AFAIK the radios are designed to be mounted on a ceiling, or otherwise flat. Mounting this “vertically” on a wall results in pretty non-optimal radio from what I can tell.

FYI, on a mac if you option click the wireless icon in the upper notification area it will tell you a bunch of technical details on your connection

I don’t know I wondered about it. The signal so far seems to be as good or better than the prior wireless signal, but that might not be saying much about the old Netgear router.

When I get time I’ll probably tinker with it some more in order to mount it to the ceiling in my case I would need to dream up some kind of mounting bracket.

So I am just starting to deploy my three AP’s in my home. I am finding out that these are not plug and play if you have a mixture of Wireless AC and N devices. The Wireless AC’s work fine but the wireless N do not work at all. The speed is less than 1 mb per second. I am in the process of researching what can be done to Accommodate the wireless N. So for now, these can not be deploy yet. If anyone have already figured this out, please let me know. Thank you…

1 Like

has anyone felt the need to update the firmware on these? the 2nd one that arrived for me looks like a different web interface. I suspect it’s really old firmware 6.5.4.3

OK…jumped thru their hoops to get signed up and finally got the download to firmware 8.7.0.0 which is pretty recent.

@Jhunter844 You can update the firmware in the maintenance tab…

I bought the ceiling mounts and am excited to get my new IAPs placed in their final home!

How do you typically manage the cabling? I was able to run some cable in the ceiling to the locations I want to mount them. I was thinking of putting a low voltage 1-gang “box” with wall plate for my terminated connections in the ceiling next to the mount. Then finishing it off with a 0.5ft Ethernet cable.

This should be a fairly clean look but not as nice as some APs that hide the cabling. Thoughts?

1 Like

I noticed this has some way of connecting to 3g/4g if you go into the advanced system settings. If anyone explores that I’d be interested in the findings.

It has something right below that refers to “wifi” and I’m wondering if I could use that to tether my cell phone to it and have it as a fail-over setup.