M.2 NVMe installation question - Asus Prime H310i-Plus

I am sure that most of you more experienced guys on here will chuckle, but I would rather look the fool in front of a bunch of strangers than in front of my wife!

I just bought an Asus Prime H310i-Plus used from eBay and was looking it over and realized that my NVMe will not fit where I thought it went. I downloaded the manual from Asus and is says that the M.2 slot I am looking at is actually for a wi-fi module. In the manual, the spot they point to doesn’t have anything. However, if I flip the mobo over, there is the M.2 slot. Is this common? I admit haven’t built a computer since my kids were born, but I don’t think I have ever seen anything on the bottom of a mobo.

Also, I bought a NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 drive, and this mobo supports that. But there is warnings all over the manual saying that if I am using SATA mode I will lose SATA 2. That doesn’t apply to my situation at all does it?

Like I said, I can handle looking foolish in front of you people. I don’t want my wife to think I don’t know what I am doing!

You can just use this adapter and plug into any of the open PCIe slots. I would recommend you use an x4 or above slot for best results.

You can find more info on NVMe drives here:

1 Like

So I looked at the manual for that board - the M.2 is on the bottom and makes sense on this board because it is a mini-ITX and there is no top-side real estate for the SSD. Your PCIe M.2 NVMe drive will work just fine and all of your SATA ports will work. What the manual (pg 1-3) says is if you use a SATA M.2 SSD it will disable the “SATA 2” port.

1 Like

I downloaded that same manual, it just wasn’t clicking in my head for some reason. Thanks for verifying/clarifying that for me. Now I can use the PCIe slot for a SATA controller to get 2 more drives in my case.