[Lowest price ever] 24 bay SAS2 SuperMicro 4U server w/ static rails

[ARCTIC F8 PWM PST] the 5 pack from black friday

1 Like

Will SATA drives work on the SAS backplane? or are you limited to SAS drives?

The backplane works fine with SATA or SAS drives. Just don’t put an SSD in it, they work best connected directly to the motherboard on a SATA3 port.

2 Likes

Thanks thats what I tought but wanted to make sure. I’m guessing the 3.3v mod is not necessary with the backplane?

Nope, no need to do anything to the drives or power cables. It’s plug and play.

1 Like

How loud are the power supplies? Think it’ll upset my other half?

They are fairly loud, definitely don’t want this outside a closet. You can get super quiet psus but they are pricey and I still find them louder than normal pc psus.

How’re the temps with those fans?

about 30-35ºC on idle using CPUID and drives stay around 32ºC in ambient room at 70ºF. Max temp I have seen on CPU’s are 40ºC with one fan on each heat sink while optimizing video using plex for direct streaming.

I finally pulled the trigger on one of these. Do I need cables to attach the backplane to the motherboard? Or are they included? I have a GA-7TESM with HP SAS expander.

Great question. The overhead picture in the eBay listing does show two SFF-8087 cables so I would say you’ll probably get them, but I would recommend contacting the seller to confirm. I ordered two of these chassis from this seller a couple years ago, and each one came with different accessories that weren’t included in the listing. One did include the SAS cables, plus an extra drive tray attached to the power supply. The other one included a full set of rails.

May be late now to reply since you pulled the trigger but it did come with 2 - 8087’s…this didnt work for me as I have a LSI SAS 9201-16e and bought 2 - 8088 to 8087 cables.

What hardware are you using in the DAS? I just got my case delivered and I have a previously built NSFW 2011 build, so now I want to create a DAS w/ the new SuperMicro case. How are you connecting them?

Thanks!

Check out this build guide:

Happy to fill in any of the blanks.

Thanks man! I need to find a way to extend the SAS cables that come off the backplan in the SuperMicro. They’re too short to extend out the PCI slots.

No DAS as I moved my whole build to the supermicro case. I am using a LSI 9201-16E with and 8088 to 8087 cable (6ft) to the backplane.

I assume you’re not running any VMs with GPU Pass through? I don’t think the PSUs support PCIe power, etc.

Running Win 10 with onboard VGA with a few VM’s (to play with) using Hyper-V.

I Know This Thread Is A Little bit old but i recently bought my supermicro CSE-846 Case With a Supermicro X9DRI-F Motherbord,16Gb ecc ram,pair of Xeon E5-2620’s With LSI SAS Controller & All For like 450-500$ From theserverstore.com And They Know How to package Them Right I Have Obviously Up Graded My cpu’s to the E5-2696 V2’s , 128Gb Of ecc ram and replaced the stock coolers with a pair of gammax Gt coolers (Very Close But The lid Still Closes) an i added a Dual Port 10Gb SFP+ Nic And All The Fans Swaped Out To B Quiet 120mm & Two 80mm O I Threw in a Old Quadro i Had Around It Is Pretty Much Dead Silent But I am looking For a Deal On a Pair Of SQ 1000W psu’s Then I Started Testing Every Thing b for i swaped all my data onto it from my old build I Still got running to btw…its a X8 with dual 6 core cpu’s n still rock solid i just wanted to build a newer one…I am Runing UnRaid on Both Pro Version on the newer one and just basic on the old one! These Are Still Super Power Houses IMHO Very Good/High end Hard Ware With Lots Of Years Left in Them

S/post/formatting