Help - should I buy this used server/workstation for Plex transcoding

Hi

I have found this HP server with the following specs:

HP, Z820, Xeon 2.5 Ghz, 32 GB ram, 240 SSD GB HD, Nvidia Quadro K2000 med 2GB RAM

I can get it for around 350$.

How does it compare to a Dell T30, which is the one I have planned before I found this machine.

/Allan

If you are just looking for a plex server check out the hp 290 link and then follow the quicksync guide. Gets you 15 transcodes for about $150 with computer and M.2 NVMe drive.

If only I lived in the US. But in europe (Denmark) the HP 290 is more like 3-400$.

Any cheap desktop with an 8th gen processor will let you use quicksync and will be better than a Xeon and video card.

ok, thanks

@noideafromhere so one like this?

MOB: ASUS TUFB360M-PLUS GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
GFX: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Crucial DDR4-2400 16GB RAM
PSU: Shark Gaming 500W
SSD: Kingston SSD 240GB (sa400s37240g)
KAB: Cooler Master Elite 342

That’s way overkill. More than 8GB of RAM doesn’t help, and the GPU will be idle a well.

Also an i3 8th gen will have the same quicksync chip as an i5. Then like the man himself says 8GB of ram is fine and there is no need for a GPU. So go even cheaper unless that is just a killer deal for you in Denmark. A laptop with the correct chip and M.2 slots can also be used and get recommended quite a bit for plex machines.

I found this 10. gen. intel in a Acer ASPIRE 3 NXHM2ED003 laptop deal:

• 15,6" Full HD
  • Intel Core i5-10210U (1,6 GHz, 4 kerner)
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 512 GB SSD

I that a better solution than the 8th gen i5-8400?

/Allan

Not sure if it’s necessarily a better solution. 8th gen is plenty and probably cheaper. No real need to go 10th gen. I’m also not sure if 10th gen is supported in plex yet. It could be but I just don’t know. Also you want to see if they have m.2 nvme slots available. The extra speed of those drives helps with the plex metadata.

We aren’t sure if 10th gen is supported with Plex right now. You can get 8th gen desktops and laptops for very cheap.

Use the search link in this thread