[Guide] Spice up your rack with these stylish & sexy chassis for your pfSense build!

The NIC should work regardless of the hardware inside…

I mean. If it’s all intact…

Can we compile a list with the hardware each model is running? Some of these should be great to use as-is but there is very limited info about them on the web.

2 Likes

i second this please. a wiki perhaps. many vendors do not share their information.

love this thread… anyone find any great deals lately?

that is a very pretty case… too bad it would cost north of $300 for me to get it in Canada.

if the insides were newer than 2011 I might consider

There are many of the Barracuda Networks Appliances available for cheap using the link from the OP:
Barracuda Networks Appliances

just picked up one of these, seller accepted $75… I like that it has 2 SFP ports

anyone have any experience with these?

Isn’t that just a switch? Are you confident that there’s computer hardware inside?

https://worldtechit.com/f5-products/f5-big-ip-4000s-4200v-hardware-datasheet/

This is the specs I was going by, quad core xeon with 8 threads, 16GB RAM and 500GB HDD

Fingers crossed

1 Like

Just got my F5 Big IP 4000 in… heavily disappointed not too sure how there could be a quad core zone under that heatsink.

Positives are that it did come with 2 sticks of 1600 8gb of RAM and Platinum power supplies which are nice…

Will have to inspect it a bit more when I have time.

What heatsink are you referencing? If you’re talking about the one you can see through the grate, it’s probably for the 10Gb networking…

Hey JDM I meant this larger heatsink… I doubt that’s a xeon but I could be wrong… my research skills on how to look for this mobile online are lacking

Just unpin that heatsink and see what’s underneath!

SR0NU looks to indeed be an E3 quad core proc

SR0NU Intel Xeon E3-1125C Quad-Core 2.00GHz 5.00GT/s DMI 8MB L3 Cache Socket FCBGA1284 Processor

Wow, that’s actually pretty rad.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68330/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1125c-8m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

now to figure out how to flash this board and make use of it :grinning:
there’s no vga/graphics output

I think that was a pretty decent score for $75 CAD

You’ll need to use a console cable to connect to the serial management interface. From what I can tell, the device comes with a heavily customized CentOS install, but you could feasibly install whatever you want. Don’t be fooled by the arrangement of the ports, that’s not an integrated switch - those look to be simply two quad port NICs on the board. Unsure on the controller model, but it’s more likely to lack a solid FreeBSD driver than it is to have one. Given the custom nature of the board, there will almost assuredly be quite a few things that would not work as intended using an OS other than the one they provide with their modified kernel and modules.

1 Like

thanks @Riggi, I’m trying to access it through the console right now… hopefully I can get proxmox installed and see what’s available

3 Likes