[Guide] Spice up your rack with these stylish & sexy chassis for your pfSense build!

Here is a deal for 3x SonicWall firewalls for $60. I’m not associated with this seller at all!

Interesting, I wonder what hardware is inside!

If I hadn’t already went with another setup, I would’ve snagged these. Just for the nice case and the power supplies, it’d be worth it.

According to here Hardware FAQ

Those Sonicwalls are OLD and very low end

SRA 4200: 1.8 GHz Via C7 x86 processor, cryptographic accelerator

I dunno what CPU is in the 3500 - but it only has 512MB ram

recently completed my pFsense router rebuild using a:

Qualys Scanner Appliance Model No: QGSA-4120-A1

Over all it is a great unit. Only upcoming change I have is to purchase a riser card and insert a 10g card into it. This will require me to do some minor case mods, but I think it is worth the pain.

the insides for any interested

1 Like

Do you need 10Gb on the router side?

Need is irrelevant. I am going to do it b/c I can :slight_smile:

OK…

I know :slight_smile:

This popped up in my eBay feed for $29 USD and I grabbed it (mostly because it looks like a piece of CIA wiretapping equipment :rofl:)

It’s an Interactive Intelligence (now Genesys) Interactive Edge EDGE-01X0 SIP edge router:

Nothing online indicated the hardware inside but for $29 no big loss. Turned out to be a Supermicro X8SIL-F with a Xeon X3450, 4GB DDR3 1333mhz, 32GB Kingston DataTraveler flash drive (seller had pulled the hard drives but it originally had 2 of some sort), EMACS 275W dual PSU, and a CrystalFontz LCD:

The little cover on the front can be removed to reveal more RJ-45 ports which on other models are typically connected to T1 TDM’s for SIP to landline termination. Could probably be rigged up to a NIC connected similar to how the onboard NIC ports are:

BIOS wasn’t locked but IPMI was set to a static address and had a non-default login so I had to use FreeDOS to reset it. I was then able to update it to the latest BIOS and IPMI firmware no issue.

If anyone is curious if you put hard drives in it by default it will boot WinPE from the USB and start up a copy of Ghost and image the drives with the original software. Kind of neat for an appliance like this to have a bullet proof restore procedure like that. Of course the software won’t actually work without a license :slight_smile:

Kind of meh hardware especially for pfSense and the like (no AES-NI support) but not terrible. I’ll probably end up throwing some random x9/x10 supermicro board in it.

3 Likes

That hardware isn’t nearly as bad as I thought, it’s NAS Killer 1.0 level. X8SIL has been around the block, it seems.

Are there any x8 to x16 riser cards?

Yes, but because many of these cases are pretty unique you can’t be sure one will fit properly. So I recommend looking for a ribbon cable extender - Just search for a PCIe x8 to x16 ribbon, there are several on Amazon and ebay

Was this seller just selling one of these? I would be interested in this…

there are 2 available on ebay

1 Like

Did you ever confirm that the nic in this guy is “fail to pass-through”? It is common for bump in the wire appliances like this to fail open if you pull the power on the appliance.

@dhole stole the box from me, you’d have to ask him!

I may have already gutted it :neutral_face: sorry!

The hardware i it was hot and noisy. Not sure I’d consider it useful. I guess I could see if the add on nic works on something else though.