[Guide] Spice up your rack with these stylish & sexy chassis for your pfSense build!

The CSE-512/S-1200 based models are 14" deep.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/1U/512/SC512-200B

Does that mean that the servers above with “S-1200” in them are that model?

Yes, the S-1200 is the Network Engines name for the CSE-815.

For those curious, the DFI fits in the Hyve Zeus with some obvious modifications needed, took about 3 minutes with a cutoff wheel on my rotary tool.

The Audio ports are the biggest problem, the lid will defintely be pressing on it.

and fits like a glove

looks like you might need a notch in the lid to clear those audio jacks

Cut the audio jacks off?

it fits mostly, the way the lid connects its “rolled” over the back edge so theres a bit of a of gap, its defintely bumped up there, but doesnt seem to hurt anything.

Fits like a glove that’ll get you acquitted lol

1 Like

Pics?

Just a tiny bump.

2 Likes

Got both of my iBoss today. One appears to be a newer version with LGA1366 and X8STi board. The other has a LGA775 with X7SBL board

3 Likes

Jumped on the bandwagon. The listing stated no RAM or drive, but they showed the internals and it has an X9-SCL but no idea what CPU it has. Will regular DDR3 UDIMMs work in this board or will i need to pick up some ECC UDIMM?

i saw this and thought it was a x9scm. in either case this motherboard will only take ecc ram.if you go with 4gb sticks they’re about $20 each and 8gb sticks are around $30 so imo the better bang for the buck would be 8gb.

x9scm has 4 pcie slots and scl has 3. but thanks for confirming i need ECC UDIMM

In the original post it says that it is generally recommended to replace the internals of these boxes with your own pfsense build. Am I correct that the exception to this policy would be the boxes that come with the better NK4 or SNAFU level mobo/cpu combos (like @JDM_WAAAT’s iBoss and a few of the others) or should they be replaced also? The only reason I can think of that you might need to replace the internals on them is that they may actually be too powerful to be a good choice for a pfsense setup.

Are my assumptions close to the mark or am I misunderstanding something?
Thank you

That is correct. The primary reason to swap hardware is that the included hardware is likely very severely outdated. In the (literal) cases where hardware is new enough to compare to any of the recommended guides, it’s a better idea to keep it installed and optionally upgrade where needed (RAM, NIC, etc).

Anyone have a suggestion for a fanless 1U PSU? Mine has a really noisy fan on it. This is the one that comes stock with the FireEye NX 900. It’s currently a 200W PSU.

On a semi-related note, has anyone used one of these janky things? 12V 180W DC Pico ATX switch PSU with Power Adapter /Car Auto MINI ITX Power | eBay

Pico PSUs work great in my experience.

1 Like

Do you have any recommendations for a Pico in mind?

I’ve used one similar to the one you just linked and it was great.

This PSU is also nearly silent if you want to stick with the native form factor…

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3DSPI250F4BBB%26_sacat%3D0%26rt%3Dnc%26LH_BIN%3D1&campid=5338535236&toolid=20008