[Guide] Spice up your rack with these stylish & sexy chassis for your pfSense build!

Do all these come with built-in gigabit I’m having trouble finding specs based on the model numbers. I’ve got gigabit FiOS so I assume I would need to gigabit ports one for wan and one for lan.

My plan is to retire my Asus ac1900 router. Use pfSense for routing, Cisco PoE switch (L2L3 capable), and use the Ac1900 as an access point until in find some used PoE APs.

Any suggestions for a 1U cpu cooler that will work with an AM3+ socket?

Barracuda Spam And Virus Firewall 300
Found this in a closet at work. Has a sparkle power supply 180w, Msi Gf615m-p33 Mobo 2 Gigs of ram, and an Amd Sempron 140. Hopefully if im allowed to take this thing ill transplant a Inventec B400GD0 with an E3-1220 V2 to make a nice pfsense box.

2 Likes

Can these fit ATX boards and a SSD generally?

Yes, you can read about the CSE-512 here.

Oh neat. Are all the chassis linked here just aesthetically modified versions of the supermicro chassis? Thought the Bluecat Adonis 750 mentioned for $35 was a good price.

This is a re branded Dell R210ii which I am reading can be flashed back to a default Dell R210ii. These are popular for low power machines and the ii version supposedly runs quiet. I am tempted to pull the trigger and give it a spin.

1 Like

Ordered the $35 Bluecat chassis, was able to knock it down to $30. Pretty cheap for a usable chassis, I think. Had a NK 4.1 set that I was using for Unraid but recently upgraded it to the X9DRL-iF with dual E5-2650v2 deal that popped up earlier, so plan on using that for a bit of an overkill pfSense setup.

Nothing important of note came with the chassis, just a pretty outdated mobo/cpu with DDR2 ram, lol. But it came with a Dynatron 1U cooler that I think I can use? Mounting holes look the same. PSU is loud though, but the fan on it looks replaceable. Probably gonna grab a couple 40x20 fans for some airflow.

1 Like

That NX900 looks like a decent find if the guts are useful. What mobo is that? Looks like a supermicro board with built-in IPMI, but I can’t make out a model number from the pics.

I picked one of those Qualysguard v2 appliances from Craigslist myself - was a good find.

CPU: Xeon E3-1285 v2 @ 3.50GHz (LGA1151)
RAM: 16GB RAM DDR3 (1600)
Mobo: Tyan S5510HE (BIOS v8.600a)
4x PCI-E
crystalfontz cfa533-usb LCD

Unfortunately, the LCD has some sort of custom firmware and I could only get the clear screen, brightness, and contrast control commands working. Since I couldn’t display characters, I dumped the unit and replaced it with a stock CFA533 (note: to keep power from the case, I desoldered the connector and attached it to the stock board and closed JP8, opened USBPWR, and closed JPUSBSNS per the data sheet). Worked swimmingly.

I also tossed this on the mobo header and punched it through the case so I don’t have to leave the case open to have video.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0184S7U7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked around the case and didn’t identify any markings that would tell me what the case is. I’m currently debating the idea of taking a cutting wheel to the back so I can add a quad port gigabit card.

1 Like

Mind posting some pics? I think it’s the same one as I have

I only have pics handy of the guts, but sure:

1 Like

Came across this guy the other day and picked up for $35 shipped. While it’s not as “sexy” as some of the others on the list, I think the front is actually quite sleek.

Avocent MergePoint KVM MGP5200 Service Processor
The insides look useless, but the case is an obvious Supermicro CSE-512/NEI S-1200

s-l400
s-l400 (1)

Pulled the trigger and and IBoss is on it’s way. will update when it arrives

How did you find these on eBay initially? Was there a certain search you used, if so could you share it… I would like to save it so it can notify me when things come available.

No search criteria in particular besides what’s listed above… Sometimes I just troll ebay looking for fun things to buy.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I was able to find a Barracuda 300 local to me for only $10!

It came with a 180W power supply (SPI180LE) 20 pin ATX and 4 pin supplemental. The motherboard I`m planning on installing (Asus B365M-A with a G4900 processor) has a 24 pin ATX and 8 pin supplemental.

Could I use the current power supply with the missing connectors? Or should I upgrade to a more modern power supply?

1 Like

You should be fine with the existing PSU. The extra 4 pins on the ATX 24-pin connector provide additional power to the PCI-E slots for high draw devices like video cards, and the extra 4 EPS pins in the 8-pin EPS connector provide additional power for the CPU. Neither of those should be required for a system with a G4900 and no dedicated video card.

2 Likes

I took a gamble and got the iboss for $70 hoping I would get some newer internal hardware. It just arrived, no joy LGA775 🥲.

I should have saved some and got one of the barracudas. Oh well. I got a swanky bright orange case.

Swanky orange case for $75 isn’t bad!