[Guide] Spice up your rack with these stylish & sexy chassis for your pfSense build!

Any recommendations? I’ve got two 2u “rails” they’re like static rails for my current machines and one of those is going up for sale once these come in. So I’d need two. My rack is custom built so from what I’ve found so far it’s too long for most rails.

Also, have you had a chance to open the qualys? Curious about the motherboard

Could you share the model on this iBoss. There are lot of them on ebay and this one looks like something I could work with. Any details are appreciated!

I’m looking to re-purpose a Netscaler MPX 5500 I have for a pfsense box, but I think I’m going to want to replace the fans with something quieter. Does anyone know what size fans are in them or have suggestions on replacements?

@hackerman anything 1U will be 40mm.

Other than noctura’s, any fans you recommend that are quiet and not super expensive? Trying not to spend too much on a piece of hardware I essentially got for free (at least not yet).

Fractal R2 40mm, but I think they have skyrocketed in price.

I got some KDE1204PKV3 fans from amazon after hearing about them from @seanho. They were about $9 per fan on amazon and took about a week to arrive; they are on ebay from China for about $6-7 depending on shipping costs. They’re only 3pin so no PWM but you might be able to control their speed with motherboard fan curves. They are only marginally louder than Noctua NF-A4x20 but feel like they have higher static pressure so they move more air

Qualys NetworkGuard

Actually not a CSE-512 based system, I’m doing some research on what it is exactly.

• Intel Xeon E3-1275 v2
  • Tyan S5510G2NR-HE-QLS motherboard
  • 16GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM
  • 1TB HGST HDD

It came with rack ears and mounting, I haven’t attached them yet.
No BIOS password as well.

1 Like

Hyve Zeus came in, they actually included the PSU so for 40 bucks shipped made them well worth it if you want to transplant a DFI or similar build.

build quality is pretty solid, and the only issue for me is similar to all others that im going to need to modify the io area for fitting the Mobo I need to put in it. Bonus pic at the end with DFI Mobo Comparison

2 Likes

Mine should be here Friday according to FedEx. May take the ram/cpu(depending on the os201 specs) but I’ll definitely be selling it. Kinda jumped the gun on buying it.

OS201 looks super interesting, IIRC the hardware in that was really decent.

They’ve got a x9scm-f motherboard and 8gb(2x4gb) ram so decent. As long as the cpu isn’t a l series I’m fine with it for a proxmox cluster. Ordered 2 more today so one of those will be added (since cluster needs an odd number) and the other I haven’t fully decided on what to do with it aka cold spare or on the first router and host a site/some services to the internet.

I got mine over the weekend. It looks like there was a set BIOS password… The fan never seems to quiet down even after installing and full-boot of pfsense. I contacted the seller about the password, hopefully they can provide me one…

You were able to install pfSense even though there’s a BIOS password?

Yeah. Oddly enough yes. They BBS popup selector allowed me to boot. But I tried all the usual passwords, nothing worked.

Got my first two onedesign os201 machines today. 8gb(2x4gb) 1600mhz ram,e3-1225 (4c/4t) Xeon on supermicro x9scm-f. Haven’t had a chance to boot it yet and see if it’s actually a 1225,have to wait until after dinner, but so far I’m pleased with them. I looked at 4gb sticks so I could do 16gb total in these two and at the prices I’ve seen, might as well spend the extra $5-$10 for 8gb sticks. The other two I ordered today should be here between Monday and Wednesday next week. Super excited.

As an aside, there’s an iboss on eBay for about $100 with no ram but this same mobo (x9scm).

I tried to boot from an ubuntu iso, and no dice on the dd command to wipe nvram. Tried to short out the jumper pads, but none of that seems to work. I was able to get the ipmi interface online by resetting it to default settings, but I am still unable to get into the BIOS.

Btw, the fan is still crazy loud… After it boots it’s for sure way too loud for the office. Is that as low as it goes? I can’t tell if there’s a BIOS setting since I am still locked out.

If it has IPMI, the fan speed control is in there, not in the BIOS.

My rack has a maximum depth of 16 inches, but i would prefer to keep it at or under 14 inches, are any of these capable of fitting in my rack, I couldn’t find any info about depth