[Guide] Remote Gaming on Unraid

I get it managed to set a custom output via Radeon Software.
Sadly it’s not able to run 3440x1440 at 60 Hz. It’s just possible to run at 30 Hz.
Not sure why, because my LG definitely runs at 60Hz.

But it’s not a tragic.
I have changed to 2560x1440 and even with this my host seems not to be able to stream in an acceptable quality at this resolution.
I got a lot of artifacts when scrolling in/out at gaming.
Very worse - so I think I cancel my wish of a higher resolution with my current hardware.

1080p seems to be fine, but I need to made some fine tuning.

But maybe someone can help me, whats bringing more power to my rig? Only with focus of “game streaming” in my LAN. (no remote gaming via WAN)
A new CPU/Board or a new GPU. Ok - honestly both would be perfect, but sadly my budget is not able to cover both at the same time.

My current CPU: i7 6700 (non-k)
My current board: ASUS Hero VIII
My current GPU: ASUS Rog Strix Vega 56 OC

Maybe a change to a Ryzen would be better (cost efficiency)? Or just upgrading CPU/GPU?

For information:
My client is a MacMini 2018 6-core i7 @ 3,2GHz - wired connection (1GbE)

Thanks for any tips/hints

First off, this guide is the bee’s knees, thanks so much for putting it together!

I’ve been planning a really over the top Threadripper 3970X build just for this use case. Plenty of horsepower, plenty of pcie, and it’s the line that stomped a mudhole in Intel’s behind.

Now, I noticed your chart had Ryzen 3rd gen in there, but I couldn’t find any TR references. I plan on a TR 3970 with a 5700 and pcie 4.0 nvme for a linux VM and a big boy card for a Windows VM with another Gen 4 pcie. 16gb of ddr4 3600 a piece, with a bunch of stuff running in the background (Oh yeah, and the MSI addin card for nvme that comes with the creator

Has anyone taken a TR3 and tried this? I don’t like cars, no need to buy guns, and am nearing a midlife crisis purchase. Might as well make it a BIG one lol

Threadripper 3 should work fine. To my knowledge there’s nothing inherently different enough to prevent it from working the same as any other modern CPU. The real issue with TR CPUs is pricing, they are very expensive.

However, AMD GPUs, like the 5700 you mentioned, won’t be the best choice for remote play. The hardware encoder looks absolutely terrible and I would not recommend it for that use. However, if it’s local play and not for network game streaming, quality will look fine.

Specifically regarding the 5700 series, these GPUs have some architectural issues that cannot be resolved by BIOS and driver updates. The gist of it is down clocking / aggressive power savings. This causes hitching and low performance in some games, especially at 1080p. If you already own this GPU, consider selling it. You can read more about this by googling it. Some have found fixes, but it’s very hit or miss. AMD still acknowledges the issue without providing a fix, even in the latest driver notes.

Well, since I do a build once every 7 years, I get to go big lol. Anyways, TR3 is too exciting to pass by.

For the remote part, I could do a 2070 Super (I can’t bare to think of buying a 2080) but I’d mostly be doing local. I know that Wendall over at levelonetechs was working on the vfio bug which if AMD fixes, I’d be much happier about, but I could do nvidia for Windows and AMD for Linux.

Does unraid still require a gpu to boot? I have a vfio build(similar to this type of setup) and have nvidia for the host and amd for the guest but would like to go with both gpu to its own vm. So I was thinking if unraid doesn’t need a gpu to boot, one card for my vm and the other for my girlfriends vm and consolidate computers. If it does need one then I guess I need a new board.

One thing I’ve noticed in this thread that’s different from vfio build threads is the lack of motherboards being mentioned. From what I’ve gathered so far with vfio specific builds the motherboard is one of if not the most crucial part to getting things to work. Is it different under unraid?

I use my server without a GPU. Both GPUs I have are passed through to 2 gaming VMs for my kids. I just access and manage it from my rig through the browser.

Haven’t used unraid in years(6+?) and wasn’t sure. Ltt did a video not too long ago,I think, and mentioned using a gt7xx series to get it to boot. My intentions are to use only the webui. Thanks for the info, got something to try out next weekend.

Has anyone had issues with the hp 290 being the client for parsec? I’ve got Ubuntu 19.04 on mine with 8gb ram and using the internal nic. Desktop quality is fine but when I load Minecraft the image on the client is a bit blurry so to speak and there is a tad bit of lag every few seconds. Windows vm is 8 cores If the e5-1260 v2,16gb ram and ssd for the os with rx580 and Intel nic passthrough to the vm. Maybe Realtek issue? Or host/client settings?

I would use Windows as a parsec client, not Ubuntu.

Can you have both Parsec, Rainway, on the same VM running at the same time? Won’t it conflict each other?

Yes, this will work fine.

1 Like

Why is that? Curious

Is PCIe ACS override: Both necessary when my logs show the following?

IOMMU group 28: [10de:1b80] 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] (rev a1)
[10de:10f0] 02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 29: [8086:1563] 04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T (rev 01)
IOMMU group 30: [8086:1563] 04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T (rev 01)
IOMMU group 31: [1a03:1150] 06:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev 03)
[1a03:2000] 07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 30)
IOMMU group 32: [1987:5012] 08:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Phison Electronics Corporation E12 NVMe Controller (rev 01)

Nvidia Graphics and Nvidia audio are together, my NVME Controller, currently also on it’s own IOMMU group. My settings for PCIe ACS override currently set to ‘disabled.’

Everyone’s setup is differet, however I recommend you follow the guide exactly for best results. I don’t see a reason to deviate from the guide in this case.

1 Like

From this I wouldn’t go with acs. Since everything is it’s own group, you can passthrough each/all. Curious, what board is that. Most that I see with aspeed are server boards.

1 Like

Yes, Supermicro X10SRM-TF, Serverboard.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SRM-TF

I am using Xeon E5-1650 v3, with 3.50 GHz base frequency.

1 Like

@JDM_WAAAT the CPU Isolation part confused me. According to this thread : https://forums.unraid.net/topic/74376-pining-cpus-to-docker-and-isolation/

Cores that are isolated are not used for docker. Only ones that are not isolated/highlighted are used for docker. When I isolated all but the first 2 cores, Plex was now limited to using those 2 cores as well.

I think this statement on preparing unRAID #2 just needs to be changed to remove the word docker from it “Cores that are highlighted are isolated from the Unraid host. (therefore dedicated to VM/Docker use)”. Unless I am confused?

Nice! All you had to say was supermicro haha. Got a x9sra w/e5-1650 v2 myself. From what I’ve seen every x9+ board that takes Xeon e5 chips seem to be broken out aka everything in its own group so there’s no need for acs patch. Haven’t looked at e3 Xeon boards but if they’re anything like consumer boards I’d stay away. In researching what board to get I read/heard somewhere that server boards in general have great iommu grouping since “server = passthrough”

1 Like

I just updated Unraid from 6.9 beta 22 to 6.9 beta 24, and can confirm it worked with no issues. Specifically, my Windows 10 VM (born out of following this guide) started without any modifications whatsoever. This was not the case when I updated to beta 22 as per my earlier posts.

I hope this might help some people have some confidence to update, if they had a working beta 22 version. Side note: My Time Spy benchmark score increased from 10612 to 10825 without me changing anything else. I’ve no idea why.

My system: Ryzen 9 3950X, 128GB RAM, 2080 Super, Unraid 6.9 beta 24. Win 10 VM (May 2020 “2004” edition).

1 Like

Hello,

I have one question, how do I disable mouse software ? Because client’s mouse is over host’s mouse with parsec. So I have two cursors…
Thank in advance!