[Guide] Remote Gaming on Unraid

Hi,

my xml My VM XML - Pastebin.com

I have tried it with the multifunction and the slot changes also in the gpu section,

Screenshots added

You have missed a few parts of the guide, hyper-V is enabled. Start there and recreate a new VM.

@JDM_WAAAT Hi, did have the VM with Hyper disabled as per guide, I had the 43 issue still at that point, I added in the stuff for Hyper v into the xml at the end to see if it made a difference

before Hyper V

The Hyper-V should not be changed until the GPU is working.

This section:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/GP107.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

Should be:

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/GP107.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0a' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>```

Hi, I did have that set like that but still get the code 43, i was trying different things and forgot to put the lines back in for the xml i sent you, sorry :frowning:

I have just changed the xml back to pre-hyper v and redone them lines again and still not working :frowning:

You really should create a new VM following all of the settings exactly, then see what happens.

I did do it exactly … I will do it again tho

Hi @JDM_WAAAT I have done it again from scratch followed the guide up till editing the xml with the changes for the GPU multifunction bit,

Upto Multifunction - Pastebin.com

Just wanted to update, so with my i5 9600k currently non OC I am now able to get 75+ fps playing COD Warzone at 1440p 144hz with an RTX 2060 founders. I passed cores 1-5 to the VM with 14gb ram. Left core 0 for Unraid. With limited CPU’s I chose to not use an emulator cpu with the 4 cores before and am now using the 5 CPUs.

This new setup seems to be working great. The CPUs are still taxed pretty high but if not running much if any dockers in Unraid using the 9600k is definitely doable :slight_smile:

I wonder if pinning your emulator CPU to one of the VM cores has any positive effect.

Good to hear it’s working well!

Truly fantastic post. I went from zero knowledge of Unraid to building a gaming/server PC from parts and following this guide successfully in about two days. It took me a little while to get my head around the GPU passthrough bit, but once I’d mastered that (with help from SI1 video to understand what exactly is going on here) and figured out what “legacy boot” mode was, I was rollin’.

Oh, one note about my build experience: I got the dreaded “error 43” in Windows and couldn’t figure out how to clear it because I was sure my XML was right; in the end I solved this (after doing everything else in the guide re passthrough / legacy boot) by removing the detected nvidia display adapter, installing latest driver from the web, forcing hardware scan. It didn’t work to just update the driver from the “error 43” in device manager, I had to remove it first.

My system: Ryzen 3950X, RTX 2080 Super.

I can hardly imagine how much time and care must have gone into developing the relevant experience and then the care/detail put into writing this guide. Hats off to you, thanks for saving a lot of headache.

1 Like

Glad to hear you have it working! What hardware are you using?

I edited my post above to include my system, which is a Ryzen 3950X, RTX 2080 Super, 128 GB RAM.

N.B. I have made one other discovery that you might want to look into/include above: I installed Win10 with the May 2020 update (build 2004 I think). This seems to remove the ability to log in automatically without password, and netplwiz no longer shows the checkbox to enable password-less logins. That means that every time the VM is restarted I have to log in using Microsoft Remote Desktop in order to initially log in and allow the likes of Parsec to start up.

Workaround:

1. Create a 2nd user account which will only be used for Microsoft RDP and ensure that you create a password with it. (N.B. Don’t skip this step, because otherwise you might not be able to log in and recover the system if Parsec/others are not working, as Microsoft RDP no longer allows you to log in without a password)
  2. Add your new account to the local administrators group
  3. Edit your original user account that you created at the start (not the new one used for RDP) and make its password blank.

The above steps now allow me to boot into Win10 automatically with no password, and enable me a secondary way in if Parsec isn’t working.

1 Like

I don’t think you need a second user account, Parsec addressed their issues with RDP in recent update!

I wonder if there’s a way to add the auto-login back through a registry edit or something.

Thanks a lot for the guide, I am having a strange issue that I cannot seem to resolve.

Server Hardware:

3900x, 64GB of RAM, Asus 1660 Super, MSI 1660 Ti both passed through.

I have two parsec gaming VMs, one for each of the GPUs. When I connect to either server from the basic client box I built (i3-6100, 16 GB RAM), I get great performance. Almost like bare metal. Stuff is snappy. When I connect from my main rig (Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB RAM with 1080 Ti), I get terrible lag. Both computers are on the same network/subnet. The parsec client configurations are identical. Any suggestions?

Oh, one more data point. When I connect from my 2012 Macbook Pro, I get great performance as well. This isn’t an AMD vs Intel thing, is it?

Is everything wired?

yeah, the macbook pro test was wireless

but everything else is wired. The latency numbers look good in parsec too

So I tracked it down to the mouse I was using. Logitech G403 was causing serious lag and frame issues. Switched to another mouse, and it all went away… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like