[Guide] NAS Killer 5.0

HI Jonathan,

Thanks for your posts and I’ve learnt a lot from it. I’m building my NAS to replace the current setup of a pi4 with 2 WD Easystore.

Here is the part I’ve searched so far:

I already have 2 WD Easystore 12T that I will shuck and put it, and then I’ll migrate the data in the 2 WD Element 8T attached to the pi 4 to the 2x12T and then I will have 2x8T and 2x12T in the case.

Does this sound like a good build to you? I will only use this as storage (includes TimeMachine, Photos, Movies, Music) and will run a plex server on Nvidia Shield Pro.

Ok everyone here we go. Just ordered all of this

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3
Cooler: Artic Alpine 12
MB: ASRock C226M WS
RAM: A-Tech 16GB 2 x 8GB PC3-12800E ECC Unbuffered UDIMM DDR3-1600 Server Memory RAM
Case: Cooler Master N400
PSU: Corsair 750 power supply (already had from old build)

Total Cost so far: $346.89.

Ok what does everyone think? Give me some pointers on what I am missing or messed up. :slight_smile:

Looks ok to me. We can help you more if you ask us before ordering next time… after there’s nothing we can do.

1 Like

Would this card be good to add additional SATA ports in a server build using UNRAID?

I prefer this version of the card, it has 5 SATA ports and no MSATA. It’s also cheaper.

Why are you looking for a SATA card specifically? There are many SAS HBAs that are extremely affordable and offer more ports + are SAS and SATA compatible.

2U is possible if you’re tight on space or depth. Here’s my 2U 4.0 build

1 Like

Would E3-1225 V3 with 2x8G ecc memory running fine with Debian installed with OMV and Plex?

I’m just starting to build a NAS to replace my current pi 4 and am just wondering if this CPU is good enough. I currently run OMV for SMB and Time Machine. I plan to do the same with the new machine with plex server as well. I will do direct play for most of the time. I’m also wondering if this CPU can transcode 4K true hd movies to 1080p

Thanks!

What would be considered a NAS killer 5.0 but off the shelf like a Lenovo Thinkserver or dell optiplex? Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m working towards building an UnRAID NAS. I like the lower cost of these NAS Killer builds, but I’m a little concerned that it won’t have enough muscle to handle what I need.

Here’s what I anticipate for use case:

• UnRAID (obviously)
  • Plex (relatively light use, two 1080 transcodes would be plenty)
  • Docker (maybe 3 containers)
  • VM’s (maybe 2 or 3, non-continuous, no gaming or specialty software)

Would the level of hardware in the 5.0 build handle these needs?

If not, is there a minimum Passmark score that I should start at? There’s a pretty wide range of Passmark scores on this build (3,250-10,830)

I’d stick with the NAS Killer 4.1 if you can swing it, you get a lot more for your money. The E3-1230 v2 is an excellent CPU for what you’re looking for.

Ok, thanks for the response! I will look at the thread for 4.1 and consider it. Initially, my only thought is that the E3-1230v2 doesn’t have QuickSync, so I’d be stuck with software transcoding, no? I was looking at the E3-12x5 v6 series but the prices on those are pretty steep.

After spending some more time doing research yesterday, I was looking at an i5-7500. It’s a little older, but has decent QuickSync support which should easily handle my transcoding needs and 6,060 Passmark for everything else. I’m still working through motherboards though.

Well, those are outside the scope of NAS Killer 5.0, as this really just covers socket LGA1150.

Generally I recommend people build out a simple NAS Killer for file serving and VMs, and separate Plex out to a dedicated QS box like the HP 290 or HP S01.

2 Likes

Any recommendations on X10D motherboards? I’m looking at a dual processor build and from what I’ve been seeing they’re about the same price as X9 boards and easier to find.

Any advice on a pre-built NAS 5.0 purchase?

2 Likes

Hey all, I’ve found myself needing to build a new system and was gonna start with a supermicro board, c7z87 probably, and was wondering if anyone knew how well they play with lsi hba cards.

I’m sure they work obviously but was wondering if I’ll have any trouble getting into the hba cards config if the motherboard is uefi only which seems to throw the cards off but I’ve seen mention that the PCI slots are backwards compatible for these purposes? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for providing this guide! I’ve never done a build before, but I feel like I understand the categories of what I need to buy now at least.

Posting here in the hopes that someone might be willing to steer me in the right direction / just tell me what to buy for my goal: I’d like a small form factor, low idle power NAS to also serve as a plex server. It would only ever need to transcode 3 streams max. I know JDM has recommended a separate quick sync box but really want to minimize footprint.

I can do some more of my own research and come up with a proposed build if I’m being too lazy, but does the above sound reasonable? What would you buy to build it?

I purchased Supermicro X10SLQ-OI006 REV:1.00 MOTHER BOARD, this thing has a BIOS password, I tried to clear CMOS, but I think it is a custom bios for Omnicell?

Does anyone have an idea how I can reset the password for the bios.

And BTW I am a complete noob

Did you try

ADMIN
ADMIN

in all caps?

If it has a BIOS password, request a refund. That’s unacceptable unless the seller is providing you the credentials to access it.

That didn’t work, I have asked the seller for my money back and now I am looking to find another Motherboard.

what I have is this:
RAM SK Hynix Server Ram 16GB 4x 4GB PC3-12800U DDR3 HMT451U6BFR8C-PB N0 AA
CPU Intel Core i5-4670 SR14D 3.40Ghz LGA 1150 Quad Core Desktop CPU Processor
Fan ARCTIC Alpine 12 CO - CPU Cooler for Intel 115x and 1200, for Continuous Operation, 92 mm PWM Fan, up to 100 W Cooling Power.
SAS IBM M5110 = LSI 9207-8i it w/ LSI P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS

I am thinking of getting this

Or would you suggest another motherboard?

I am also looking at this the C7z87, I found a good price from this website
https://www.grabdpart.com/c7z87-oce-supermicro-c7z87-oce-atx-server-motherboard-only.html