[Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals

Hey! New here working on buying this after getting 4 4tb and a small ssd. Will any atx case work for this (that has enough drive spots)? Something like this a Corsair Carbide 200R? I saw the first case listed but it seems to be OOS everywhere sadly :frowning: Working on a budget of 600 and 200 went to all the drives so this seems to fit the bill so far unless there is something newer. Also is a normal ATX going to work with the server mobo? I don’t know if they have different connectors.

Probably going to use as NAS and maybe run an ARK server off of it. Never tried to do anything like this before but I’m taking the dive! Thanks for any support!

Bitdeals currently has 4TB SATA for $90 if you buy 2. The case I recommend all the time, in this guide and the parent NAS Killer 4.0 guide, is the Cooler Master N400. It can hold 8 hard drives without any modification.

1 Like

I agree it is a little on the higher side, RAM is usually about $35 for 8GB, but there are a couple of reasons why I suggested that for the Chenbro CR12000 / Tyan S5512WGM2NR

• Servers shipped from esisonic on ebay that have 16GB send with 4x4GB config, didn’t want to rip and replace if I really want 32GB.
  • when searching for compatibility, this is one of the few that come up that explicitly say works with this board
  • I want my system up and running right away, and not want to guess which part is the problem.

If you are looking for a small, reliable TrueNAS boot drive, do what I did. I just repurposed a 16GB SSD from a chromebook that I picked up from ebay.

• SSD: RBU-SNS4151S3/16GD ($7.41, ebay)
  • MSATA to 2.4 in drive adapter: MB703M2P-B ($10.49, Amazon)

Esiso has plenty of options for 32GB configurations.

That is true, there is Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m QUAD CORE E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB RAM NO HDD for $246, but I wanted a v2 chip and the this model, Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m QUAD CORE E3-1230v2 3.3GHz 32GB RAM NO HDD was going for $270, and wanted to spend a little less.

Know I have less memory, but I pulled the trigger and purchased everything already

Thanks! I got the 4 4tb drives from that link. Going for the 32gb model hopefully he will drop more. So far only 260 is that still a good deal or not really?

It’s ok, make sure to use the “best offer” functionality of ebay. You could probably get it for $220-$230.

1 Like

Hey Guys, I have one of the NK 4.1 units and just tried to upgrade its memory to 32GB but unfortunately the unit doesn’t boot with the new memory and keeps beeping. I am pretty positive that the MOB can go up to 32GB: Here is the current memory and unit

and here is what I got 4X8GB:

Yeah, you need ECC UDIMM, not ECC RDIMM as you posted.

What part numbers are the original RAM that was included?

Ob boy! thank you…The original one is the that Kingston I posted KVR13E9/4HC

Any idea why the UDIMMs are so hard to find?

https://ebay.us/EWZ6Mw - should be about about $25/8GB stick for ECC UDIMM

1 Like

So my case the N400 has a USB C port or maybe a USB 3.0 port. Is there a way to utalize the USB on the outside of the case with the motherboard in the 4.1? I’d imagine not as it tops out at USB 2.0 right? Will/do server motherboards ever get to USB 3.0 or USB C?

For me using Windows and Internet Explorer worked. Otherwise I hit issues like this.

I finally made my decision on a NAS Killer build–I chose the Chenbro 1200, and I’m planning on putting it in a tower. Unfortunately, I’m trying to submit an offer on this and eBay is telling me the seller doesn’t have them available. Err…It’s listed, so what’s up? Anyone else had this experience?

I’ve also sent a message to the seller. I’ll post an update when I hear back.

1 Like

This is your issue. Looks like you might have to wait a little bit.

Yep. I received a message from them indicating they are having problems with their account. Unfortunate and kind of odd, frankly. Anyway, the quest continues. Thanks, JDM!

1 Like

Is there a particular order I should be using this ports? Also, it appears a couple of the ports says “SAS”, is that to say I can use those ports for SAS drives? Thank you

The 8 ports on the bottom are your onboard LSI SAS2008, they can be used for SAS or SATA drives. To use them in Unraid you will need to flash it to IT mode, it comes configured in IR mode. You will also need to use SATA to SAS adapters for them, if using SAS drives.

The 6 ports on the right are all SATA, the two blue ones are SATA 3 and the 4 black ones are SATA 2, these can not be used with SAS drives.

I use the LSI ports for my Array and Parity, plus an unassigned drive that I use for downloading/unpacking to; These are a mix of SAS and SATA drives. I use the 2x SATA 3 ports for my Cache drives (Cache and Docker Appdata). The 4x SATA 2 ports go unused by me, but you could put storage that does not need to be fast on them.

1 Like