[Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals

Is there a reason to use the Tyan S5512 over the Tyan S5510?

I don’t really understand the question, this guide refers to a combo that includes the S5512.

Sorry. I looked at getting one of the Chenbro servers from Ebay because that is definitely the best deal, but not when they want $190 dollars to ship it to you. So I started looking at the bare Mother boards and found the sought after S5512Wgm2nr with buits in SAS controller are hard to come by. I found the S5510gm3nr which has 3 Gbe ports and 3 PCIe x8 and 1 x4 slots which would give me room for 10Gbe card, SAS controller card, and NVMe SSD. I can’t find any difference between the S5512 and S5510 other than random different ports. Am I missing something? I want a server that I can run UnRaid on for NAS and a VM running Untangle.

Took the plunge and ordered one of the Chenbros: E3-1230v2 and 16GB RAM. All my offers got rejected, so paid the $186 that was listed, but it looks like prices for pretty much everything have risen lately.

That’s a shame. Looks like the seller is getting a little greedy.

I bit the bullet on the 1230v2 with 8 GB ram. Guess it’s time to clean out a 4u case. Man, discovering this forum is starting to get expensive!

1 Like

Grab some HDDs for your build while you’re at it!

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/bitdeals-tech-re-opening-hdd-deals/8551

1 Like

I actually just grabbed 2 x 12tbs to shuck last week. My next additions will be from bitdeals.tech I think.

The Craft Computing youtube channel was talking about using one of these Chenbro NR 12000 today in their channel.

Just a general question, has anybody done any checking on how much power this thing pulls?

I have a decent system now that I am happy with, but it pulls 250W, would like to know how much I would potentially save if I rip and replace.

My NK4.1 build with one SATA HDD, one SATA SSD, and a optical drive pulls 72 watts at idle. Figure roughly 5 watts per additional HDD.

Thanks, gives me something to make an actual comparison and ROI

For a comparison, my NK5 (4770K, 7 HHD, 3 SSD) pulls 48W at idle.

I’m assuming you have your array set to spin down then?

Nope. Everything is spun up.

I did some research and think this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007W5BA6Y/

That seems expensive, did you reference the NAS Killer 4.0 guide for RAM yet?

In case it helps, this is the ram mine came with.

Is there a priority that I should use to what SATA ports get populated first with this setup?

Yes, SATA SSDs should be used on the SATA3 ports.

1 Like