[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

You can never have to many builds started. Somewhat off topic but is there a mobo that you would recommend putting that E3-1270 in? I am just getting started on non windows based builds and would hate to return the cpu if i can put it to use.

You could check out the DQ77MK it will support any processor from 1155. Itā€™s Micro-ATX.

Thank You! I found your site when I wanted to build a small server and ended up with a NSFW build with over 20k passmark and tons of room to expand and grow. As you can tell I have now turned this into a parts buying hobby.

1 Like

Sorry if this is the wrong spot. I bought an Inventec B400GA0, i5-3470S, and ECC UDIMM RAM. Iā€™m trying to get it put together today but I ran into an issue. When I try to turn it on, it beeps 4 times and the CR3, CR5, CR7, and CR9 LEDs turn green. After maybe 15 seconds or so, a red light appears that points to ā€œCATERRā€. Does anyone know what I did wrong? I havenā€™t been able to find the B400GA0 manual anywhere online.

I donā€™t think that Inventec board will take anything but Celeron, Pentium or Xeons. I have two, tried i3 and i5 1155 chips without luck. Have you thought about the Xeon 1260L? Lower wattage about same performance as that i5, around $40 on eBay.

Thanks for the help! Iā€™ll look into picking up a Xeon 1260L.

Edit: Just re-read the Mobo chart and saw it listed Xeon processors only. Should have double-checked before ordering my original parts lol. Looks like Iā€™ll be going with the Xeon 1260L. Thanks again!

Itā€™s related to ECC memory support on processor, which is why the Celerons and Pentiums work.

1 Like

Sorry about my initial misinformation on that board.

No problem! Thanks for compiling this information in the first place. As someone who hasnā€™t built a server before, your build guides are extremely helpful.

3 Likes

A quick question about using the DQ77KB with shucked WD drives. Since it uses the internal SATA power connector, could I just snip the orange 3.3v cable at the motherboard connection and then wrap it with electrical tape to work around the PWDIS issue? Iā€™d also like to use a SATA SSD and a 5.25" ODD.

So Iā€™m working on the Mini-ITX build and I have two 4GB Crucial modules which I know would work with the DQ77KB, but Iā€™d like to get this 8GB stick so I can eventually expand. I noticed on Intelā€™s memory specifications for the DQ77KB that that board ā€œdoes not support double-sided x16 SO-DIMMs.ā€ Iā€™m honestly not 100% sure what that means even after doing some reading around the internet, so I wanted to double-check that that 8GB stick would be okay. Thanks!

I ended up with a X9SCL+-F with an E3 1230v2. Iā€™m rounding out my purchases now and am a little confused on the SSD recommendation. I havenā€™t run unRaid before and want to set it up effectively so should I have one large SSD (1TB) for unRaid and my applications and one smaller SSD (500GB) for cache and Plex metadata? I assume that whatever drive I install unRaid on has to be part of the RAID array and therefore canā€™t be installed on the SATA add-in card that is recommended? Sorry for the noob questions and thanks for your help.

Typically, I would recommend a decent sized dedicated cache, and a dedicated (unassigned) SSD for AppData.

Iā€™m not sure what your budget is, but you could probably get away with 500GB of each.

Unraid will boot off a usb drive and then run off ram.

2 posts were split to a new topic: NK 4.0 build feedback - fornstar124

A post was split to a new topic: NAS Killer 4.0 Build Feedback - giantrobot

A post was merged into an existing topic: NK 4.0 build feedback - fornstar124

I have been looking for a week or so on ebay going back and forth with looking at parts for building my own or the dell.
I ran across this listing today:

I thought the 225 was a bit high so offered 150, he countered 175, free shipping. After confirming that yes this was a good deal I jumped on it. I was ready to pull the trigger on all the parts to build my own but am glad I waited and ran across this. Set up an alert on ebay on what you are looking for and dont be afraid to bid low.

The dells are a good starting point. I have had 3 dell tower servers that have been great nas machines.

A post was split to a new topic: NAS Killer 4.0 troubleshooting - power issues