[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

With specific regard to the mini-ITX build, am I good to run the DQ77KB full time with just the 120W power brick? I wanted to build my first NAS to be quiet and power-efficient and utilize parts I had already laying around.

My build parts are as follows:

• Case: Fractal Node 304
  • Motherboard: Intel DQ77KB
  • CPU: Xeon E3-1260L
  • RAM: 8gb SODIMM
  • Cache: 240GB TCSUNBOW mSATA
  • HDD: 4x WD Red Plus 4tb (this should give me ~11.xTB with 1 as parity, yes?), plans to add addt’l 2x later if needed
  • CPU Fan: Thermaltake Gravity i2
  • 3x Case Fans: 2x 92mm, 1x 140mm Silent Series (included in the 304 case)

Has anyone built the mini-ITX as outlined in the build guide and had it running 24/7? My main concern is whether the 120W brick is sufficient, and whether it would somehow “overheat” or burn out due to max output? I don’t have much experience with laptop-style PSUs. Please don’t mistake me as trying to question @JDM_WAAAT’s advice as outlined - I am just looking for reassurance I guess.

Thanks in advance! I know these are really basic noob questions, but I’d rather confirm before I buy additional parts.

EDIT: English.

i just commandeered my HDMI connection for another computer; do i need to leave a HDMI dummy plug on my NAS Killer for Plex like on the dedicated QSV transcoding boxes?

Only the box with Plex installed needs a dummy plug or active monitor installed.

1 Like

well, the NAS Killer is running a Plex instance, so I’ll take that as a yes. thanks

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. You only need the dummy plug if you’re using hardware transcoding. Software transcode doesn’t use the GPU, so it doesn’t need a dummy plug.

1 Like

I’ve been running the DQ77KB as a pfsense build 24x7 for well over a year now. It’s been rock solid so far. <knock on wood!>

I am using Supermicro X9SCM-F. I failed to install a TrueNas system on it. The screen showed “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. The motherboard could recognize my USB driver and I can select it to boot, but I still can’t install a new system. Does anyone know the reason and how to solve it? Thanks.

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS?

Thanks for your reply. I changed it. I installed win10 successfully, but I failed to install the TrueNAS system. The screen showed “No boot filename received” when I tried to install the TrueNAS from my USB drive.

I don’t understand what you mean “failed to install”.

The Truenas download is an ISO, which you write to your flash drive with a program like Rufus.

After I disabled Network Device BBS Priorities, the “failed to install” problem was disappeared. And then the screen showed “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” again. I tried to write TrueNAS ISO onto my USB drive with Rufus, but every time I finished writing the USB became unrecognized by my computer. Therefore I used imageUSB instead and the writing succeeded. But the “reboot and select proper boot device…” problem appeared again. I don’t know what I should do next.

When you write TrueNAS to a USB via Rufus, simply safely eject and unplug it and boot from it on your X9SCL. It’s going to be written in a format that Windows will not understand.

It worked! Thank you very much!!!

1 Like

Do you need 10gb NIC? My use case: I plan to build NK4 for Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet/storage on unraid to connect to my prodesk 400 g5 transcoding box. Would I benefit with 10gb vs 1gb for LAN file transfers? My outside connection is 1gb fiber so no benefit there for 10gb NIC.

No, you don’t need a 10Gb NIC. It’s helpful for large file transfers (especially reading from the NAS) but Plex won’t make use of the extra bandwidth. You can always add one later if you need to, so I’d just start without one for now.

1 Like

Great, thanks sir!

Anyone doing mining on their NAS Killer 4.0 rig? if so is it worth doing?

CPU mining - no, but GPU mining… so long as it works, why not?

1 Like

Yeah looking for GPU mining while my Unraid setup is running. Any good guide I can look into?
I have a RX 580 that is sitting around, might as well use it.

You should use the Parsec Gaming guide. You can mine on it, and when you’re not mining, you can game!

1 Like