[Guide] NAS Killer 4.0 - fast, quiet, power efficient, and flexible - starting at $125

Can’t do it on a passthrough on a VM?

That’s what the Parsec Gaming guide covers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello there

I have a question concerning the Dell T110 II which you recommended.

I was about to pull the trigger but the spec sheet says “internal storage limit 12TB”… I wanted to use it with 3-4 WD 12 TB NAS Drives… Does this mean that it will not be possible?

The Dell has a PERC H200 (6 Gb/s) controler.

Thanks

I installed TrueNAS system successfully, and my Win10 computer could connect to it using a fixed IP address. However, my NAS connot connect to network. I thought the reason was that I didn’t configure my DNS servers successfully.

My situation was a little special. I put my NAS in an university network which enabled your devices to connect to net after your MAC address was registered. To test the network connection, I used a Win10 system boot disk for my NAS machine, and it could connect to network, which proved my MAC address was registered successfully. I also used “ipconfig /all” on Win10 to get IP information. I used the DNS servers ''131.xxx.xxx.40" and “131.xxx.xxx.41” as the Nameserver1 and Nameserver2 in NAS seperately, and I used my the default gateway address “131.xxx.xx.254” as IPv4 Default Gateway address in NAS. But my NAS showed “Gateway 131.xxx.xx.254 is unreachable.” The detalied information is attached in pictures.

I tried all methods I could find, but I didn’t solve the net connection problem. Had anyone met this problem before? Thanks.
IPinformation
DNS

I question the wisdom of putting your NAS on the university network, especially if they have policies against this, but if your MAC is indeed registered, you probably want to be using DHCP to auto configure everything. Unless they’ve issued you a static address, trying to manually configure it will probably create conflicts that will bring your university IT people knocking on your door.

Thanks for your reply. I shouldn’t have fixed my IP within the university network. After I enabled DHCP function again, my NAS could connect to the network.

I don’t know why the campus policies against this. I put my NAS in my office since I stayed in the office most of the day. If my IT department warns me about this, then I will move it to my home. Anyway, I appreciate your help.

You could put it behind a router (double NAT) so that only devices on that router could access the NAS.

There’s no limit, you can use 14,16,18TB or higher drives if you want. When that Dell was released, there were only 12TB available. Don’t pay attention to the drive size limit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good idea! I will consider it if necessary.

I think you should do it now, it’ll give you control over everything on your side of that ethernet jack.

It looks like my NK4 Intel DQ77KB motherboard maybe just died (no LEDs anymore even with connected power). I don’t see these being reasonably available any more, are there any good mini-ITX options?

Maybe: EMB-B75A Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 PCIe 3.0 x16 3x HDMI Dual GigE USB 3.0 TESTED 886227268993 | eBay

Or since I’m going to have to put in a real power supply, maybe I should just bite the bullet and jump to a micro ATX or full ATX instead?

Hi, I couldn’t find a Intel DQ77KB, LGA 1155 cheaply, but I did find a https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Q87TCSM/ for $50. Specs look similar except its a 1150 form factor, any suggestions on a CPU to keep up with original stated parts list?

That would be a NAS Killer 5.0

First time building a home server, not new to building computers but definitely new when it comes to learning about servers and networking. Long story short, was looking for a better solution to running my plex server and came across these forums. Bought one of the HP 290s to make a plex box and all the components i didnt have to build the NAS Killer 4.0 (using parts below).

Motherboard: supermicro x9scm-f
CPU: Xeon E3-1270 SR00N 3.4ghz quad core LGA 1155
Ram: Dell Poweredge R210 II 16gb (4x 4gb) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800E ECC UDIMM
psu: MasterWatt 550 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
cpu fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Problem is I cannot seem to get the computer to post. Everything is put together (mobo, cpu, psu, ram, cpu fan and case fans), hook up onboard vga to monitor and cannot get anything out of it. Did a little research on the board and learned a bit about the IPMI feature so I went that route thinking i could access the bios to change settings using IPMIView. I was able to find the computer and IP but it is password protected and i used every combination i found online that people said was the default but it wouldnt let me get past (ADMIN / ADMIN), nothing worked. At another deadend. I was about to buy another mobo thinking maybe i have a bad board and when i was on ebay i read a comment from a buyer stating they were having issues with the supermicro board in the beginning not being able to get through password protection in IPMI as well (unsure if they were having post issues or not, sent a message but no response yet). But this person said they were able to get past it after research and finding he could boot to USB with freeDOS and updated the bios to reset everything. I am unsure if this will fix my issue or similar and as i said, i am new to this side of computing. If this is my next step, can someone give me some help, guidance, step by steps please.

I know for now i would like to be able to access the system via the vga port, once i become more familiar with what I am doing then most likely IPMI will be a better solution.

THANK YOU

can anyone recommend a rack mount case which could fit the Ultra-quiet “Plus” build inside and in the same time could go inside a 450mm deep network cabinet? I started my network build before I thought about a NAS and now I’m stuck with my 12U/450mm NavePoint cabinet. It doesn’t really matters if it’s 3U or 4U since I still have plenty of room in there. I’m also not planning on having a crazy amount of HDD bays so that could help with the spacing, I’ll probably need 4 - 6 bays tops for the HDD and one for the SD.
I found this guy which on paper should fit an mATX and 4 HDDs but since I don’t have any PC building experience I am just not sure if it will 100% fit everything. Would really appreciate any input, thank you!

yeah it looks tricky.
an ebay search resulted in this, which you might be able to pick through for ideas:

19 in Rack Unit Width Server Rackmount Server Cases for sale | eBay

the monoprice case you listed looks like it will work for matx and ATX PSU, but two limitations:

1. you’d have to convert the 5.25 to 3.5 bays
  2. the PCI cards would be low profile only.
1 Like

Your Navepoint is not a server cabinet. It’s not designed to handle the weight or size of a rackmount server, I wouldn’t attempt it.

1 Like

Is the Dell Poweredge T110 II still recommended as a decent prebuilt option?

Looking to build a NAS for a nextcloud server and photo and Plex media storage.

I’d also like a game streaming server, though, so maybe a prebuilt isn’t for me?

I am very interested to build a home NAS. Please advise if my configuration will work together:

I forgot to mention, the server I would like to build will be used for photo and video storage to replace google photos. I was focused on power efficiency to keep the power bill as low as possible for this machine.