[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

Hi,
I’m building a new plex server and came across this post on hw transcoding.
I’ve already bought some components so I’m hoping I haven’t made a mistake after reading some of this!
I’ve bought a server m/b and an i3-9100 processor to utilise the quicksync.
The m/b I have bought does not have an hd output (only vga) so my question is will the quicksync still be used by plex for transcoding or will it be disabled because there isn’t a HD output to connect a dummy plug/and or monitor?
Any help/advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
John

Which server motherboard specifically do you have? Some of them can use the iGPU on the processor, some can’t. The specific video output on the board doesn’t necessarily indicate anything.

It’s an Asus P11C-X, but I also have another m/b available if this one won’t work.
I also have the Asus P11C-M/4L that I was going to use for a pfsense firewall.
So hopefully one of these can use the iGPU.

Unfortunately, both of those boards are based on the C242 chipset, which doesn’t work with the iGPU. If you want a board that does, I would recommend checking out the OTIS build, which has several options.

Thanks for the info.
Yes I came across that post yesterday, so I need to be looking at a ‘desktop’ build rather than a ‘server’ build
Is Windows still the best o/s for PMS or is Ubuntu the better option now?

Windows was never the better option in my opinion. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is the only option I’d recommend. It’s been well tested by hundreds of members here with no issues.

1 Like

Agreed, I’ve never recommended windows for QS.

I am looking to move my Plex locally, as right now it’s hosted on a server with Hetzner. Man, this guide is fantastic!

Originally I was looking at a NUC, but now I’m leaning toward a ProDesk. I don’t have the budget for new, but I’ve found two used 600 G5s, the only difference is $50, one having an i5-8500 ($600 AUD), and the other with an i5-9500 ($650 AUD).

Probably a dumb question, but will there be much of a difference between the two, or should I just grab the 9500 for the extra $50 since it’s a newer gen?

Both are extremely overpriced. I know the AU market isn’t great, but you should be able to find something for less than $300.

Hi guys need a little advice. I am running a plex server i have 160tb of storage on a nas
I have a Windows server with 32gb ram 3000mhz
stripped nvme pci 3.0 500gb x2
I9-9900k processor
A ssd for transcoding drive might move this to ram
I have hit a limit on transcode I did 19 transcode and 7 direct streams last night
I have 1gb fiber Internet up and down speed test gets about 980mb
My question is how to get past this limit
I was thinking of buying an quadro rtx 4000 but this can only do 27 1080p streams estimated if my server hits the GPu limit can it then go back to using the igpu?

I’d recommend not using windows, as performance is lower than Linux (and much less reliable) when using hardware transcoding.

I already have my plex server running didn’t really want to start moving to Linux
Are you saying if I was running Linux my i9 would be able to handle over 30 transcodes?

Well, that’s my advice. It’s consistent with what I outlined here in this guide.

Not guaranteeing any level of performance, but it’ll be better than windows.

So if I move to Linux if I put an quadro graphics card in when the quadro maxs out will plex fall back to igpu?

No, I didn’t say that either. I was recommending using QuickSync on Linux.

I understand quicksync on Linux but it sounds from the previous that even with Linux it tops out at about 25 streams. I’m asking if I put in a quadro can the quicksync still work when I max out the gpu as I am sure you can agree even on Linux I won’t get 40 transcodes

It’s so much cheaper to just add a second QuickSync server for $90. Quadros are a big waste of money.

1 Like

Lol thats a waste of money I brought synology rackstation plus expansion to hold 24 12tb hard drive to allow for had failure just incase

I like using 1 server I understand there are cheaper ways of getting it to work. I am just asking could it potentially work. I love intel and I love nvme ssds I like everything you are saying above I’m just asking if you know the answer

Have you tried maxing out a gtx or rtx and seeing if it falls over to the igpu

It’s not a waste of money. You can use the same media storage, the separate server just points at the media.

Have you tried maxing out a gtx or rtx and seeing if it falls over to the igpu

It won’t.

Are you sure it won’t?
Could have sworn it said somewhere it would
Does that mean you have tried it?