[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

I’ve recently snatched up a HP Prodesk 600 G2 Mini and want to make it a stand-alone Plex server.

Will I need a DisplayPort Dummy Plug to take full advantage of QuickSync or is this only if I want to access headless at a high resolution?

Thanks in advance!

It is required.

1 Like

Egawd… how did I miss that :frowning: Thanks for helping and not scolding me :wink:

1 Like

My Intel i3-8100 with UHD630 is able to transcode 4x (from HDD) and even 5x (from NVMe) concurrent 4K streams:

1080p would be much more. I do not have enough Clients / CPU Power to test this scenario as well, but should be ~20x as shown through others multiple times.

@antigravity83
You wondered about high IOwait compared to Nvidia. I think this isn’t really an IOwait as there is no IOwait on the disks. This is only related to the fully utilized iGPU which is not able to answer fast enough. I think this simply means its overloaded and you reached the maximum video processing limit. You can check this by installing Intel’s GPU Tools. I posted some screenshots in the Unraid forums.

Great to know this. Thank you.

What’s the point of transcoding 4K? HDR is stripped and not tone mapped properly.

The point of having* 4K is to watch it in 4K.

Will be maybe with the 11th / 12th gen Intel or if Plex adds H265 transcoding output.

I never said I want to use it, its only a benchmark. I principally create rips of 1080p and 4K discs, so I don’t need to use the 4K version as transcoding source.

I expressly dissociate myself from those actions. I prefer buying discs.

It’s actually already supported on the iGPU side, Plex does not support it.

It’s not a valid benchmark if there’s no reason to do it.

Do you know if any results for Plex transcoding on the new Tiger Lake? Thanks.

What do you mean?

How does it work compared to earlier models. It is supposed to be able to handle a lot of new formats.

For anyone familiar with the details: when considering 8th-gen QuickSync processors, is there a substantial difference in overhead for transcoding h.264 vs. h.265 (source files are all 1080p)? Much of my library is 10-bit h.265.

1 Like

A bit, a faster processor would help. However, I’d start cheap and work your way up.

1 Like

Makes sense. Thank you!

1 Like

Check out the HP 290 if you haven’t already, they are still < $200 and cover 95% of people’s needs.

1 Like

For sure! I think that’s still my plan, at the moment – trying to scrape together a DAS from cast-off parts from a buddy’s company first, then I’ll figure out where my gaps are.

Tiger Lake May have a newer QSV ASIC?

first I wouldlike to thank you for this info. 2nd Is using the QS in windows still not working right? I would really prefer windows cause I am very bad with Linux. 2A. If Linux is the only way I have setup a little linux box using ubuntu 20.04 with PMS installed. I have a windows 10 pc setup with storage spaces setup that holds all my media. I am having a really hard time with getting plex on the linux box to find the network drive. I have it mounted via smb ( I think) but you are saying to mount each folder from the windows nas to created folders. I cant seem to understand how to do this. D you know of a youtube video or a walk through for noobies? most of the ones I have found seem to think I know linux and I very much dont.
On windows its super easy and I feel lie mounting a drive and having plex access it shouldnt be this hard. any info you can give me would be great.

Has anyone gotten plex web tools to work in Ubuntu?

Suggest these sections be removed/reworked to convey this is no longer the case and that full NVDEC is supported by Plex in Linux.

Thanks for your assistance in Discord, @Riggi. Always a pleasure!