[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

@JDM_WAAAT

Brand new to UNRAID, and I have a few questions.

At the moment, I do not have the funds to build a NAS. I have a '17 Nvidia Shield TV and a 6th gen laptop with SSD and HDD built in.

Questions here -

Can I use the Shield as a NAS and run thr server off the laptop using quicksync?

If i were to do that, does UNRAID need to be on the laptop, or am I just installing Ubuntu and PMS on the laptop? That is where I am a bit confused with the direction. Im not sure if the PMS PC needs to be in Unraid or if that is meant for the NAS?

Any help is appreciated, my PMS is almost unuseable with the Shield TV hosting it, so I wanted to see if I could move it to the QS laptop and get it to work better.

Has there been any updates on whether the transcode limits/issues still exist running PMS on Windows? I have an Optiplex on the way that I’m planning to use as a Quick Sync box, however, I’m trying to figure out if I can run Blue Iris (requires windows) & Plex on it and just use windows, or if I should just pick up another and run Blue Iris on it’s own windows box. I’ve also considered running them both on the same box and viirtualizing either windows or ubuntu but not sure how that would affect performance.

Do not combine both BlueIris and Plex. The HP 290 and HP S01 are cheap enough where you should be able to dedicate those services.

Makes sense. In that case I’ll probably run Plex and it’s related services on the Optiplex i5 9500 I just picked up and then go ahead and pick up a HP S01 down the road for Blue Iris.

Thanks for the input, just wanted to see if anything had changed.

I would recommend using that i5-9500 for BI.
Put all Plex on a dedicated 7th-gen or higher Celeron.
Related Plex services belong on the NAS.

1 Like

I just built a replacement transcode box for my old laptop running that was running a first gen i7. This guide worked flawlessly. The box goes great in my living room and I’ve tested up to 7 transcoding streams. It more than suits my needs. It worked great!

I used this thread for everything except for the SSD which I chose on my own.

• HP 290-p0043w Slim Celeron G4900 3.1GHz
  • Crucial P2 250GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT250P2SSD8
  • Patriot Memory Signature Line DDR4 8GB (1x8GB) UDIMM Frequency: 2400MHz (PC4-19200) 1. 2 Volt - PSD48G240081
  • HDMI Dummy Plug Headless Ghost Display Emulator (Fit Headless-1920x1080 New Generation@60Hz)-3Pack
  • M.2 Screw Kit,NVMe Screw m.2 SSD Mounting Kit,Compatible ASUS Motherboard
4 Likes

By coincidence, I am going to “inherit” a Dell OptiPlex 9020 Ultra Small Form Factor prebuilt.
CPU: i7-4790S 65 W LGA1150 4th Gen, HD 4600
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
Drive: 128GB SSD

How would this do as a transcoder?
Any change/upgrade recommendations? (just in case anyone already knows. I don’t have it yet so mobo and chassis details unknown)

That’s a 4th-gen CPU, it would not fare well.

Thanks, appreciate it!
In the CPU compendium I see up to i7-5775C, but that’s only 5th Gen.
Is recommended minimum 8th Gen?

To clarify my question, I re-read again and see that 6th Gen is minimum recommended:
If you care about your users, get a 6th-gen or higher CPU. Image quality is great and overall they are very fast, although sometimes expensive.

So just wondering if that is still the case or if I should be looking for more.

Is Ubuntu 20.04 still the recommended version today?

You can use the latest LTS version, or 20.04. Both will work great.

Was thinking about upgrading but then I read that the first point release will be in July/August.
Going to wait until after that to see if there are any issues reported by other users.

The latest LTS version will be required if you run one of the newest intel cpus. I upgraded to an i5-12400 and had to upgrade to 22.04 LTS for the new kernel which supported the new intel video. Works ok now, but i think <10th Gen is still the most compatible.

Correct. To clarify, for a dedicated QSV box, there’s really no reason to use anything higher than 8th-10th gen right now unless you’re interested in wasting money.

1 Like

Still rocking an i5 7400.
Upgrading my NASKillers to 10th gen (already owned gear from previous pc builds) soon.
But my QSV will stay the same for now.

1 Like

I’m still using an Old Broadwell i5 5250U. Is it worth the improvement to go to 12th Gen now? Thanks.

It worth it to upgrade, but unless you have other things or future plans i’d recommend the 10th gen for less issues.

1 Like

Thanks, I guess the software is not updated yet for the new architecture? I am replacing an old Plex server.

Not to 12th gen, but definitely 7th or 8th gen.

1 Like