[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

sorry. thought I was responding to a post from further back.

tl;dr

The ā€œFree to Useā€ Parts: The Server and Apps

The ā€œPaid Forā€ Parts: Mobile Apps and Subscription Services

No, it doesnā€™t. You can have as many servers as you want on the same account.

1. No. Itā€™s my ā€œdo everythingā€ desktop machine. I also do voiceover work, so it provides my Logic Pro X recording and editing capabilities.
  2. No. I have most of the TVs in the house tuned and set to not require transcoding. Every once in a while something comes in that does, but I find the fix to stop that right away! Mostly that ends up being audio transcoding. I am getting hardware transcoding for one or two of my friends that connect to my PMS from outside. I have a Radeon RX 580 with 8GB, so I can get a couple of transcodes, but not much more.

Cheers!

Hey JDM,
Iā€™ve a question for you; hoping youā€™ve some clue that Iā€™m just not coming up with:

• I picked up the HP Prodesk 600 G4. It has a 500GB HDD and 16GB RAM.
  • I also bought and installed the 1TB Sabrent NVMe SSD, per your recommendations.
  • Was able to install Ubuntu 20.04 per your suggestion (I just overwrote the Windows install that came with the machine.)
  • Sadly, nothing Iā€™ve been able to do allows me to see the SSD inside of Ubuntu. Iā€™ve verified that the HP BIOS/UEFI sees the SSD drive. But Iā€™ve yet to figure out why Ubuntu does not recognize it. Perhaps Iā€™m asking the wrong questions when Iā€™m researching.
  • Iā€™ve seen a lot of info stating that one should change the driveā€™s controller type to ā€œAHCIā€ and itā€™s interface type to ā€œSATAā€. Sadly, for the life of me, and poking around every possible option in the BIOS settings, there seems to be no control for changing these two settings.
  • I was able to verify that the BIOS sees the Sabrent Drive on an ā€œNVMeā€ controller, and that its interface type is PCIe.

Are these controller and interface types that I cannot change the challenge with Ubuntu not recognizing the SSD drive?

Really stumped at this point. I have PMS installed, but Iā€™ve not attempted to connect my DAS media yet as I feel I need to get this SSD situation handled first.

Any direction would be deeply appreciated. Thanks for the time and attention. Cheers.

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me with a decision.

So currently I am renting server with hetzner i9 9900k with nvme ssd.

It is getting to expensive for me so I decided to rather buy myself a server, especially now when I have 1gbps down and upload at home.

I donā€™t have many users online at the same time, max 8 average, 3-4, and the most important thing for me is that metadata loads as soon as possible.

I was thinking to buy a server with i3 8100t cpu or maybe even cheaper version g5600, and of course I would buy nvme ssd, just not sure will my library load as fast as on current server because that server has much better cpu. My library is quite big, just plex data folder is around 175gb, I have over 20k movies and 5k shows, so I want a server where metadata loads as fast as possible, so which server cpu would you recommend me :slight_smile:

In my experience the metadata load speed is directly related to the speed of the storage it resides on server side and the client connection speed/cpu

This. Just make sure your metadata drive is really fast.

@JDM_WAAAT

Brand new to UNRAID, and I have a few questions.

At the moment, I do not have the funds to build a NAS. I have a '17 Nvidia Shield TV and a 6th gen laptop with SSD and HDD built in.

Questions here -

Can I use the Shield as a NAS and run thr server off the laptop using quicksync?

If i were to do that, does UNRAID need to be on the laptop, or am I just installing Ubuntu and PMS on the laptop? That is where I am a bit confused with the direction. Im not sure if the PMS PC needs to be in Unraid or if that is meant for the NAS?

Any help is appreciated, my PMS is almost unuseable with the Shield TV hosting it, so I wanted to see if I could move it to the QS laptop and get it to work better.

Has there been any updates on whether the transcode limits/issues still exist running PMS on Windows? I have an Optiplex on the way that Iā€™m planning to use as a Quick Sync box, however, Iā€™m trying to figure out if I can run Blue Iris (requires windows) & Plex on it and just use windows, or if I should just pick up another and run Blue Iris on itā€™s own windows box. Iā€™ve also considered running them both on the same box and viirtualizing either windows or ubuntu but not sure how that would affect performance.

Do not combine both BlueIris and Plex. The HP 290 and HP S01 are cheap enough where you should be able to dedicate those services.

Makes sense. In that case Iā€™ll probably run Plex and itā€™s related services on the Optiplex i5 9500 I just picked up and then go ahead and pick up a HP S01 down the road for Blue Iris.

Thanks for the input, just wanted to see if anything had changed.

I would recommend using that i5-9500 for BI.
Put all Plex on a dedicated 7th-gen or higher Celeron.
Related Plex services belong on the NAS.

1 Like

I just built a replacement transcode box for my old laptop running that was running a first gen i7. This guide worked flawlessly. The box goes great in my living room and Iā€™ve tested up to 7 transcoding streams. It more than suits my needs. It worked great!

I used this thread for everything except for the SSD which I chose on my own.

• HP 290-p0043w Slim Celeron G4900 3.1GHz
  • Crucial P2 250GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT250P2SSD8
  • Patriot Memory Signature Line DDR4 8GB (1x8GB) UDIMM Frequency: 2400MHz (PC4-19200) 1. 2 Volt - PSD48G240081
  • HDMI Dummy Plug Headless Ghost Display Emulator ļ¼ˆFit Headless-1920x1080 New Generation@60Hzļ¼‰-3Pack
  • M.2 Screw Kit,NVMe Screw m.2 SSD Mounting Kitļ¼ŒCompatible ASUS Motherboard
4 Likes

By coincidence, I am going to ā€œinheritā€ a Dell OptiPlex 9020 Ultra Small Form Factor prebuilt.
CPU: i7-4790S 65 W LGA1150 4th Gen, HD 4600
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
Drive: 128GB SSD

How would this do as a transcoder?
Any change/upgrade recommendations? (just in case anyone already knows. I donā€™t have it yet so mobo and chassis details unknown)

Thatā€™s a 4th-gen CPU, it would not fare well.

Thanks, appreciate it!
In the CPU compendium I see up to i7-5775C, but thatā€™s only 5th Gen.
Is recommended minimum 8th Gen?

To clarify my question, I re-read again and see that 6th Gen is minimum recommended:
If you care about your users, get a 6th-gen or higher CPU. Image quality is great and overall they are very fast, although sometimes expensive.

So just wondering if that is still the case or if I should be looking for more.

Is Ubuntu 20.04 still the recommended version today?

You can use the latest LTS version, or 20.04. Both will work great.