[Guide] Hardware Transcoding: The JDM way! QuickSync and NVENC

What do you mean exactly?

HW transcoding has been supported in dockerized Plex for a long time in Unraid. However, a dedicated QS box will perform better than an integrated server. There’s really no reason for you to condense.

It was a post from you on August 2019

That was referencing GPUs, not iGPUs.

Ah damn.
Totally misinterpreted that.
It was one of the reasons I built a separate Plex box.
Would you still recommend two separate boxes with the 12 threads chips these days?

Yes, because a dedicated sub-$200 Plex transcoder performs excellently, giving you much more flexibility with the NAS as it won’t need an iGPU.

15 posts were split to a new topic: QS + SMB issues

Reading this guide was very interesting, but that brings me to my current situation:
I’m running plex in a docker (on Unraid) with nvidia support (a GTX1060). You make it sound like that’s not the best of choices as it only does partly hardware transcoding (right?)

So what is my best choice here, making a VM I guess. but what should I allocate to this VM? Running an Epyc 7282 with 128gb ram. I can allocate enough but yeh, ofc I don’t want to allocate all resources to it.

Added to this, I’m having issues with VC1 videos… is there a way/plugin for plex that auto-transcode those (put it in “optimized versions”)?

Based on my previous comment, I’ve documented my testing in a video: https://youtu.be/MphKhwtSegQ

I was initially able to run 14 simultaneous streams on an Intel i5-9400 / Ubuntu 20.04. Curiously, I reached 18 streams if I minimized some browsers, then restored them. Not sure why this would be the case…

Sounds like a client issue, not a server one.

Has anyone tested the transcoding performance on the new i5-11400? Trying to decide on whether or not to grab the 11400 with UHD 730 or the 11500 with UHD 750. If the transcoding capabilities are marginal between the two, I’ll get the 11400.

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for the guide. It went quite smoothly.

I have pressed a Dell Optiplex 3060 micro (i5-8500T, 24GB memory) into Plex transcoding service.

I find that I need to interact with it for updates (Plex and system).

I would like to run it without a keyboard/mouse/monitor and administer it from my main system (Windows 10 desktop system). I do have a vga dummy plug for it.

Can someone point me in a the right direction to read up on it?

Thanks in advance!

Install Open-SSH server and connect to it via Putty on Windows.

Use these commands:

Get the installer for the update:

wget --content-disposition 'https://plex.tv/downloads/latest/5?channel=8&build=linux-x86_64&distro=debian&X-Plex-Token='

Install the update:

sudo dpkg -i plex (press tab)

Remove the install files:

sudo rm -f plexmediaserver*

Thanks very much for this. Eventually I will learn enough about unbantu to lose my noob status :wink:

1 Like

The first step is spelling it right :wink:

1 Like

Ahh, sausage fingers and noob make such a great combo :laughing:

I cheated and set up ApacheGuacamole on my NAS.

Is there any data on how temps scale with # of QS transcodes? Planning my build’s heatsink and airflow right now, wondering if QS even has a significant impact on heat. I don’t see it mentioned anyways so I’m guessing there is minimal impact?

It doesn’t have a significant impact on heat. What case and heatsink were you looking at?

Cool, thanks for the tip! Looking at Fractal Design R5 and probably the largest Noctua cooler that doesn’t impede on my RAM slots. Just curious, is that also true for NVENC? If not it seems like a major benefit of QS is better thermals?

@JDM_WAAAT

Excellent guide, picked up a used HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini and moved my Plex server installation over to it.