[Guide] 8 Bay Mini-DAS!

Its not the same case. Its similar and less expensive than many current alternatives at the sale price, thats all. Something in stock as well by the looks of it. Sorry didn’t mean to imply it was.

What’s the hdd mounting strategy there?

How does that relate to this build? It only fits 2 3.5" drives.

I thought there was a hard drive kit but there wasn’t. I deleted the post.

What case is that? None of the ebay ones in this thread are available any longer

I couldn’t find the hard drive kit so I deleted the post.

This might be a viable alternative…

1 Like

Interesting case! Do you still need the SFF 8088 to SATA cables and the SATA power cables with this case?

Just wondering if you could find a SATA/SAS backplane for this and swap out the IDE/SCSI

Snagged one of these off FB Marketplace. I am leaning toward just running SFF cables from this unit to my TrueNAS box. Question is do I need a 16E LSI card or would an 8E work for 8 HDDs? Also, any suggestions on replacement PSU, if needed?

An 8e would work, but why not an Adaptec that’s both internal and external SAS? I don’t think you would need a replacement PSU for this machine.

ASR-78165 would be what I would recommend.

That is good to know about the PSU. For the card, I think I need a low profile for the HP G4 400 but I will take a look to be sure. For my Full tower EATX build the ASR sounds like a good idea though if I need to expand.

LSI card is working well. Only two problems remain – I need to upgrade the noisy stock fan and saw a slightly bigger hole in the back as the SFF-8088 to SATA breakout cable is too fat to get through. Should have measured first, oh well! Still looks like it’ll be a great HDD case for $40.

I just picked up one of the 8 bay SansDigital TowerRaid boxes, and it only came with 3 drive trays. Any idea where I can pick some up? Or where I can buy compatible trays?

Found some on ebay:

Looking at auction listing for a 5 bay hot swap mobile rack.

Does this backplane look burnt up or is it just me? Seller represents it as “used”. Might just be how light is hitting it the more I look at it.

I don’t see anything burnt.

@JDM_WAAAT Thanks for the guide, this has been very useful.

I have an LSI card on the way, and the appropriate break out cable.
Have you had any luck finding a new enclosure? Or could you point to any on Ebay that would work? They seem to be quite pricey now, if they do work.

Has anyone taken the time to rack mount this case?

It’s probably easiest to set it on top of another server or just use a shelf.