Gigabyte GA-7TESM Motherboard and NAS Killer v2 Users Rejoice! Permanent Solution to Disable IPMI Fan Sensors to Fix CPU_FAN/SYS_FAN Event Error Log

Gigabyte GA-7TESM Motherboard and NAS Killer v2 Users Rejoice! Permanent Solution to Disable IPMI Fan Sensors to Fix CPU_FAN/SYS_FAN Event Error Log

Problem:

Installing PWM Fans on a Gigabyte GA-7TESM Motherboard causes sensor assertion error events which results in the log file becoming so full that it won’t boot and requires clearing via the ipmi interface or bios.

Solution:

[Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS x86_64]

Installing freeipmi-tools allows you to permanently disable all system event messages for a given fan sensor, even across reboots.

Install freeipmi-tools. This will allow you to view/edit the ipmi sensor settings.

sudo apt install freeipmi-tools

List all of the sensors available and their current settings. This is a long list and may take a moment.

sudo ipmi-sensors-config --checkout

Save the sensor list to a file (I used the filename “sensor-data1.conf” because that’s the name used in the man page examples).

sudo ipmi-sensors-config --checkout --filename=sensor-data1.conf

Edit the file with your editor of choice.

sudo nano sensor-data1.conf

Find the fan sensor sections and change the value of “Enable_All_Event_Messages” from “Yes” to “No” for each sensor that is showing errors in your Event Log.

Section 27_CPU1_FAN
## Possible values: Yes/No
Enable_All_Event_Messages                                                   No

Section 28_CPU2_FAN

Section 29_SYS_FAN1

Section 29_SYS_FAN2

Section 29_SYS_FAN3

Section 29_SYS_FAN4

Save the file and exit your editor.

Commit the changes using the file you just edited(“sensor-data1.conf”)

sudo ipmi-sensors-config --commit --filename=sensor-data1.conf

This will permanently fix the log from filling up with assertion errors, even through a reboot.

Setting Enable_All_Event_Messages to No disables ALL events from that sensor but there are other variables available in each sensor section if you would like to fine-tune your setup by modifying specific events, such as Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Non_Critical_Going_Low, etc.

Example Sensor Section:

Section 28_CPU1_FAN

Enable_Scanning_On_This_Sensor                                              Yes

Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Non_Critical_Going_Low                         Yes

Enable_Assertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                             Yes

Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Non_Critical_Going_Low                       Yes

Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                           Yes

## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Lower_Non_Critical_Threshold                                                1200.000000

## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
Lower_Critical_Threshold                                                    1600.000000

## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM; 'None' to not use hysteresis
Positive_Going_Threshold_Hysteresis                                         None

## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM; 'None' to not use hysteresis
Negative_Going_Threshold_Hysteresis                                         None
1 Like

Is there a way to fix this for UnRAID?

I think my answer is here https://www.reddit.com/r/JDM_WAAAT/comments/j6stap/gigabyte_ga7tesm_motherboard_and_nas_killer_v2/g81sly2?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Thank you!! This is the only solution that has worked for me.

Edit: the logs are still filling up when I reboot. I can confirm the config file is still altered to say “no” to all the messages when I run the checkout command.