[Official] serverbuilds.net CARE PACKAGE GIVEAWAY (pfSense + more) - ends 1/1/21

ENTRY

This was very helpful in my most recent build. I ended up building 2 of them and I am very happy with the results. I would be lost without these guides lol.

1 Like

ENTRY

I have two favorite guides, the Anniversary 2.0 SNAFU guide and the DAS guide, which got me into the frankenbeast server build I have today.

These two guides led me to buy my Dell Precision T5600 and make the carcass of an old college PC into a DAS, which now sits nicely on an IKEA wire shelf at least. Not quite a rack, but above a LACK :slight_smile:

1 Like

Entry

Double (probably more) posting the 290 Owners Thread. This is what tugged me down the rabbit hole to and to finally get a usable Linux server and NAS up and running, and ultimately got my ass up in the attic pulling cat 6 around the house. The perfect quarantine activity getting my home set up bigger and badder than ever, learning a whole shit ton along the way. Thanks @JDM_WAAAT!

1 Like

ENTRY

This guide about WireGuard has been my favorite post. I have come back to it time and time again, @Sparky did a wonderful job with it and I was quite intimidated by it to start with. However when finishing that guide (and following it step by step) I felt way more confident and can now set up WireGuard without issues! It’s truly amazing the wealth of knowledge in the forums and I am just so thankful that I have somewhere to turn when it seems like I can’t get something figured out.

This may be my first time posting here but I have been following you guys for awhile. Thank you for doing the giveaway @JDM_WAAAT and Merry Christmas to you!

Oh and my preference for an item would be either the A10 or the Keyboard, thanks again!

The A10 and keyboard are part of the same package!

1 Like

ENTRY

IPMI fan sensors disabled. Rejoice indeed.

I selected this post because it is a solution to a problem that persisted in an otherwise excellent build. Scripting an hourly clear of the event logs was limiting my ability to detect actual errors. I’ve now put together a raspberry pi syslog server to track errors and improve my system’s reliability.

Package 1, it’s time to add pfSense to my network… or a PLEX Quicksync box… hmmmm.

1 Like

Well that just makes it all the better! Thanks for the clarification on that! I also appreciate you editing my post, I didn’t even catch it… you’re fantastic, thanks again!

1 Like

ENTRY

This was the post that brought me to this community. I was in the market to create a better Plex server and was feeling overwhelmed by the pure number of choices for hardware. This guide really helped me focus in on some quality hardware and opened my eyes to the good used hardware on eBay.

1 Like

ENTRY

I love seeing updated posts to enhance / repurpose continually aging hardware. This was a great post on expanding drive space without sacrificing form or function. Keep up the great work everyone.

2 Likes

ENTRY

I got directed here for the NAS killer build but wasn’t able to find many of the parts still in stock. But I stuck around and found this post of someone doing a very similar build to what I was imagining and ended pulling the trigger based on they info I learned in this thread and all the great build guides.

1 Like

ENTRY

I didn’t realize realize dummy plugs were a thing. Exactly what I needed for streaming from a network windows PC.

Preferences is Package #2.

1 Like

ENTRY

I was planning on building a box for Plex and looking for in depth info about hardware transcoding, this post proved to be the best resource. Haven’t gotten around to buying the parts yet and planning on doing it in January. The hardware prizes from this contest could help out with that.

1 Like

ENTRY

My favorite post has to be stupifiers response to my issue and actually solving it. I was struggling so hard with this issue as it was stressing me out.

a close second is the HP290 thread.

1 Like

ENTRY

Invaluable advice/guide. I did not think of doing something like this and was previously transcoding using CPU power on my Ryzen 3900x. It always felt wrong and this guide explains everything really well. There are many misinformed people out there who would benefit from this guide (willing or unwilling haha)

Prize Preference: Package 1

1 Like

ENTRY

I stumbled across your posts on reddit a while ago, even before the forums were up! Ive been wanting to pull the trigger on a NAS build for some time now but haven’t decided how to move my current windows 10 + snapraid + drivepool to one. The NK4.0 post has so much useful information in it that when I do, I’ll be following it step by step. Thanks for all the time you put into this stuff. Merry Christmas from Texas!

1 Like

ENTRY

I :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: love the idea of these thin clients with a gpu and sff compute in general. I bought one of these and then ended up bricking it. :confused: Fortunately the one in this deal still has warranty; I just need to get with HP and hopefully get it covered/repaired.

Thanks JDM, long time listener, seldom poster.

Prize Preference: Package 1

1 Like

ENTRY

I wanted to post the build guide that got me started in this group, but i couldnt find it. Its a Lego build. :smiley: but i love the thought and time you all took to do [Official] WD External Shuckables - Price Tracking this tracking info for drives. since we all like to do bulk storage it was really amazing and after a while can help people track trends. Also all the help you guys have for everything if i could link more links i would. i read them and dont comment like i should to say ty. but its all amazing iinfo.

1 Like

ENTRY

Favorite post:

The author suckered me in with Mac Pro nostalgia, and I stayed for the clean NAS/DAS build. They did a great job in their writing, detailed photos, and puppy photos. I’m a sucker for puppy photos.

1 Like

ENTRY

It all started with this guide that I stumbled upon and since then I’ve been slowly upgrading my aging Plex server. For the longest time I thought I was limited to increasing storage in my server by replacing drives with larger ones, but this guide opened up a world of possibilities and more than doubled my previous storage to currently about 95TB. Thank you!

ENTRY

Really appreciate the efforts you have put in to the resource that is serverbuilds. It is great to find one place for a community of people with a similar approach to my own, albeit often on another level scaled way beyond what I do. The build guides are fantastic and the ability to find and hack together discounted server hardware is incredible. I have enjoyed the NAS Killer series especially [Guide] NAS Killer 4.1 supplemental + deals

Keep up the good work and thanks for being such a great resource!