Fisrt time Unraid upgrade.

Hey guys/gals.

I’ve been running an Unraid server for some years now and I think it has started showing it’s age. I use it for computer/phone backups which then gets synced with and offsite server, the full suite of *arr apps and the subsequently required apps to fully automate them, Plex, tdarr, FTP Files transfers, NGinx proxy and adguard. No VM’s at this time and have no future plans for it.

Lately apps have been crashing a lot requiring constant restarts, sometimes multiple times a day. Besides doing a full docker reinstall thinking that was the problem I have not done additional troubleshooting. Apps get marked as “unhealthy” by Unraid. Appdata is running in cache.

Current Machine:Motherboard: Z600 Hewlett-Packard 0B54h , Version D

CPU: Dual Intel® Xeon® CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz

Memory: 48 GiB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC

GPU: Quadro P400 (Shared with Plex and Tdarr)

Thinking of a NAS 5.0 Build w/ $200 +/- $20 budget:Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-5775C

Memory: 32GB DDR3

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2GPU: Adding a Nvidia T400 I had laying around. I have an old PC case with a 430w Power supply

Now, is this worth the time/money to upgrade? I’ve had to stop half the docker apps to keep things running smoothly.

Hi and welcome to Serverbuilds.

You might want to consider skipping ahead a generation and going with an NK 6.0 build.

You should get a significant bump in performance for a similar or slightly higher price tag. Especially if you are planning on using a fairly exotic (expensive) CPU like the i7-5775C. An 8th or 9th Gen i3 will likely provide better single thread performance and should come pretty close to matching the 5775C in multi threaded workloads and has a much more advanced iGPU for transcoding all on a faster DDR4 platform. You should be able to pick up CPU + Motherboard + 32 GB DDR4 for under $200. Additionally with an NK 6.0 you wouldn’t need the Quadro.