[Build log] 4G/LTE as primary internet

Added some more information to the thread @D4M4EVER

Thanks.

It’s looking liek i get zero coverage for 4G LTE in my area from all the big providers in my area. i might get a max connection of 2.5 to 5Mbps with AT&T, that is my current speed with T-Mobile off my cell phone now.

I get better speed with my LTE routers than I do with my phone. It depends on your antenna setup.

JDM how’s your testing for your LTE modems coming along?

So I just picked up all the parts to do the Test Setup # 1.

Have two questions. The nano sim seems to small for the gl.inet Spitz router. And second when I try to activate the sim with the reddit steps it just generates an error. After I enter billing info. Says to try later, any ideas. I’m thinking I want a different sim card like this one,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-prepaid-sim-kit/6235500.p?skuId=6235500

I just got [Test Setup #3] up and running last Friday (12/20/2019).

I’m using a Lenovo S145, booting ROOter OS off of a USB flash drive. I’m using an Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to GbE adapter in addition to the other parts.

Aside from creating the ROOter OS USB, no other configuration was needed to get the LTE up and running. This was by far the easiest to set up, and has been performing well.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for the update.

Just did a speed test (had a few other applications running at the time) with test setup #3
This is just with the stock antenna setup, not the extended one that setup #1 had. Excited to see what I can get with better antennas.

Hi, So I did get the other sim card from bestbuy ( https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-prepaid-sim-kit/6235500.p?skuId=6235500) and was able to activate the sim with the AT&T ipad plan ($35/month). I have the sim installed in the GL-X750 Spitz 4G LTE smart router from “Test Setup 1”. Did you have to change any of these settings under the manual setup?

Thanks

yes, the APN needs to be broadband

Thanks, was able to get a connection with APN set to broadband.

1 Like

I see you’re only connected at 3G. You might want to troubleshoot that.

I changed the manual setup to this;

and did a reboot. Speed test is way better now. Thanks.

Nice. Good work!

Have you guys heard of Calyx Institute? https://www.calyxinstitute.org/member/map

I just got mine in December, and it works great! Totally tax deductible too! I went for the MiFi 8800 upgrade for $600 for the whole year, unlimited everything.

I have heard of them, but I’ve also heard you are locked into their devices. That was a hard no for me unfortunately.

You can get external antennas and works just fine for me. I am only using it for a backup internet, so my demand is lower. Anyway. Figured I would share.

1 Like

Right but you still have to connect to it via WiFi, correct?

Yeah, that’s definitely the downside. For the price, I’ll plug in via usb to a ASUS AC-68u router I have laying around. There is an option in the OS for the router to use it as its internet. I’ll see if that works for connecting via ethernet

1 Like

Let me know how it goes!